PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Maxtor Hard Drives

I recently purchased a Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 hard drive. I have not installed it yet, because I've been told all kinds of horror stories about Maxtor.Mostly that they are unreliable and that they crash often. I would like to hear some opinions from anyone who is running one on their system. Any info. would be helpful.
Thanks, Pat

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Maxtor Hard Drives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Maxtor Hard Drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maxtor Hard Drives

In reply to: Maxtor Hard Drives

I have 4 Maxtor HDs at the current time, No Problems!
Over the years EVERY HD brand has had problems at one time or the other. Such is life.
Now keep in mind that ALL HDs will crash, someday!
Over the last six months the vast majority of the posts about HD have been about older ones and how to get the data off of them.
Lets see what others have to say. John

Collapse -
MAXTOR

Thanks, John. It's good to hear from someone who is using this product. Thanks for the information.
Pat

Collapse -
Check this very long thread

Collapse -
MAXTOR

In reply to: Check this very long thread

Thanks Ray. It looks like I'll have a lot of reading to do. Thanks for the information.
Pat

Collapse -
(NT) Maxtor Hard Drives

Maxtor is as good a HD as ANY... I am running 3 now with no problems. One suggestion though, at Maxtors website you can find a program called acm.exe
It is an accoustical controller. Use it and set your new HD up for max speed (and max sound) It will run quite a bit faster.( and "click" a bit when accessing)

Collapse -
Maxtor

In reply to: (NT) Maxtor Hard Drives

Thanks so much for the information.
Pat

Collapse -
Never a problem with Maxtor!

In reply to: Maxtor

Over the last 9 years my favorite HDD's are Maxtor for two reasons; one, I have never had a problem with them, and two, their pricing for what they offer. I have had problems with IBM and also W/D HDD's including failures. Currently I have 6 Maxtor?s running in three PC's and all work flawlessly. By the way, none make the excessive noises spoken of in this thread. They are 1 @ 30 gig/100, 1 @ 40 gig/133, and 4 @ 160/133.

Collapse -
Maxtor

In reply to: Never a problem with Maxtor!

Thanks for the information. So far the info. that I have received has been very helpful. There are pros and cons to everything, so it really helps to hear from people that are using this product. Thanks again, Pat

Collapse -
Just to add to the info :P

In reply to: Maxtor

I've used Maxtor in the past on my older computers and I found them some of the most flexible and amazingly functional hard drives that I have ever used
e.g. while modding my computer short circuited my PSU, technically this should've fried everything in my computer, everything was fried cept a stick of RAM and... the Maxtor hard drive

So I say use Maxtor if you can get hold of them for a good price, there a kick *** brand for reliability.
And as for the horror stories about Maxtor you should hear some of the Sea Gate stories :/

Collapse -
MAXTOR

In reply to: Just to add to the info :P

Thanks,kamikaze__me. I'm getting such great feedback about Maxtor. It's good to hear everyone's opinion.
Thanks again, Pat

Collapse -
Maxtor is unreliable and should not be used

In reply to: MAXTOR

If you care about your data, I would avoid Maxtor's products like the plague. Despite what some here claim, it is NOT common for an internal hard drive to die in a year or two, but my one and only Maxtor internal drive did just that. The Maxtor folks DID replace that drive, though, at no cost--and they didn't have to, technically, because, at the time, they offered only a 1-year warrantee.

Unfortunately, I just learned that the back-up I made of that replaced hard drive, which went on a Maxtor external hard drive, is unreadable. It seems that Maxtor's externals are sent out with fat32, which in theory is readable by XP. In fact, though, Microsoft doesn't recommend the fat32 filesystem. Maxtor hides behind instructions it says it gives (I have borrowed the drive, so I don't have the instructions) to convert the ''plug-and-play'' fat32 to an NTFS filesystem if using with XP.

The bottom line is that, for professional use, NTFS is standard. Indeed, how many fat32 systems are still used anywhere? Maxtor, in sending out a product that does not conform to the NTFS standard, excludes itself from consideration as a business or professional solution. You have been warned.

Collapse -
MAXTOR

In reply to: Maxtor is unreliable and should not be used

Thanks for the infomation. I need to see the pros and cons so I can make a decision. This is my first attempt in building a computer, so all info. is helpful. Thanks again, Pat

Collapse -
Huh?

Fat32 is used in every computer running win98. Believe it, or not, there are a lot of people still running win98, I have 3 computers, now that are running win98, as are a lot of my customers.

Collapse -
Huh again?

I'm sorry, but I don't know where you get your information at, but what you say makes no sense to me, maybe I am misreading your post.

You do not buy a new hard drive that is already formatted, it is the operating system, that determines the file system requirements, not the hard drive.

External hard drives use fat32, because that is more universal than NTFS, with all most windows systems can use fat32.

Also, XP will run a fat32, however for optimum performance, and enhancements, NTFS is the preferred method.

Collapse -
Maxtor HDD's

Hi, for what another opinion is worth, for the last 3 years I have used a Maxtor drive in my computer, a 20GB . The 20GB drive is still running well with no problems so far. When I purchased the system I also installed a cooling fan on the HDD which I believe did contribute to increasing the life span of the drive. Recently I purchased a new system with a 40GB Maxtor drive and installed a cooling fan on the HDD. I guess it's up to the individual as to forming their own opinion of this product. A footnote: ALL HDD's will eventually fail, it's inevitable.

Collapse -
MAXTOR

In reply to: Maxtor HDD's

Thanks for the information. All I need now is the right motherboard and I'll be ready to build my first computer. Thanks again, Pat

Collapse -
One more. . .

Collapse -
MAXTOR

In reply to: One more. . .

Thanks for the information.All I need now is the motherboard and I'll be ready to build my first computer. Thanks again, Pat

Collapse -
I like Maxtors

I have Maxtors in a couple of my computers, and haven't had any trouble with them at all. However, I don't run any intensive applications, so my opinion may be void.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.