Peripherals forum

General discussion

Maxtor Hard drive

by jciminna / August 4, 2006 11:18 AM PDT

I have a Maxtor 100GB external hard drive. Beacause I leave in Florida we have numerous electrical storms. I shut down my computer and pulled the electical cord out of the wall socket so not to have any outage problems. When the storm was over I booted up again but could not access my external drive. Checked MY COMPUTER and did not see the f: drive,(which is where the external drive is housed). Can anyone help me.

JC

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Maxtor Hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Maxtor Hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Things to check...
by John.Wilkinson / August 5, 2006 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Maxtor Hard drive

1.) Verify that the external hard drive is actually turned on/running...check the indicator light and feel it for vibration to see if the drive is actually spinning.

2.) make sure that the connections are firm for both power and USB/Firewire. Try using a different outlet and port if necessary.

3.) The drive may simply be hidden in My Computer. Download TweakUI, install/run it, expand My Computer, select Drives, and make sure that the drives are checked. Also, try just typing F:\ into the address bar of Windows Explorer and see what it says.

4.) Go Start->Control Panel->(Performance and Maintenance)->Administrative Tools->Computer Management. On the next window select Disk Management and see if the drive is detected...the top half detects logical drives while the bottom half detects physical drives.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
Maxtor 100GB Fix
by jciminna / August 5, 2006 11:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Things to check...

I thank you for responding to my request. What I ended up doing was shut down the computer then totally unplugged unit (electrical) and replugged it, sort of a reboot like for your cable box. Started it up and the f: drive reappeared in MY COMPUTER icon. Thanks again

JC

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!