Storage forum

General discussion

Maxtor Firewire Drive Appears Dead

I have a Maxtor 80 gb firewire drive that all of a sudden is not recognized by Windoiws XP. I powered off and restarted and it was recognized, then the computer acted as though I had shut off the drive, which I hadn't. Most of the time I restart the drive my computer won't recognize it though the lights are on indicating the drive is getting power. Every few times my computer recognizes the drive for a second, then loses it. Same scenario when I tried the drive on another computer. Any ideas how I can at least run the drive long enough to move everything off to another drive? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Marc Berris
marc@berrislaw.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Maxtor Firewire Drive Appears Dead
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Maxtor Firewire Drive Appears Dead
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try the USB 2.0 connection.

In reply to: Maxtor Firewire Drive Appears Dead

I've found Windows firewire hard disk support to be flaky on some machines.

Bob

Collapse -
Don't have a USB connection

In reply to: Try the USB 2.0 connection.

This particular drice is a firewire-only drive. No USB connection.

Collapse -
Put the drive in an USB 2.0 housing.

In reply to: Don't have a USB connection

There's always another way out.

Bob

Collapse -
I'm a tech idiot -- Is this a complicated procedure?

In reply to: Put the drive in an USB 2.0 housing.

I have to confess: I'm not terribly handy when it comes to computer stuff. How complicated is it to move the drive into another case with a different connection type? Am I better leaving this to a professional? Any insight (or warning) would be appreciated.

~Marc

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) How critical is the data ? Not backed up elsewhere ???

In reply to: I'm a tech idiot -- Is this a complicated procedure?

Collapse -
I'd rank it at 2 light bulbs.

It's just above changing a light bulb in my book. There is no jumper or other changes that I've found here. Just open one box. Unscrew a few things, pop the drive out of the old and into the next box.

If the case/interface is the issue, it should come right back.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yup...I could go with the 2 LBs !

In reply to: I'd rank it at 2 light bulbs.

Collapse -
Voila! Problem Solved.

My very sincere thanks. I did as you suggested and the drive is alive and well, with all data safely recovered and backed up. I really appreciate the help!

~MSB

Collapse -
If nothing else works, remove the drive from the enclosure

In reply to: Don't have a USB connection

and try it connected internally to a desktop.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.