Computer Newbies forum

Resolved Question

Maxtor external HD; file transfer between two laptops

Just got new Toshiba laptop and want to transfer 280 GB documents, movies, etc to the new external HD from an
HP Pavilion DV 2500 and be able to access from the new Toshiba. Software for installing and formatting the external HD is included with the HD. What is bothering me is that I seem to recall having read an article saying always use the same USB when using an externall HD. Obviously I can't do this with two laptops involved. Can anyone offer information regarding this? Thanks.

Lwj328 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Maxtor external HD; file transfer between two laptops
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Maxtor external HD; file transfer between two laptops
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Lwj328

Collapse -
Re: external disk

In reply to: Maxtor external HD; file transfer between two laptops

That's not true. External disks can be used on multiple machines. No problem at all to as much PC's in whatever sequence you like. Even Linux machine will work. And Mac's if it's formatted FAT32.

The mysterious thing in your post is your mention of "software for installing and formatting the disk". External hard disks (in any Windows after Windows ME, and current versions of Linux and Mac) don't have to be installed. They just work. If they need to be formatted again (usually they are already if you buy them), if you want more than one partition on it, or if you want a partition with another filesystem they come with, any OS will let you do that. So there's no need at all for "software for installing and formatting".

And then there's the issue that external disk are unreliable and error prone. So they aren't suitable at all for permanent storage of the only copy of a file, unless you're ready to lose it. They are excellent for transferring data between machines that aren't in local network (but yours might very well be if you have a broadband router). And they are nice as an (extra) backup. But don't use them as storage!

Kees

Collapse -
Maxtor external HD; file transfer between two laptops by Lwj

In reply to: Re: external disk

Thank you extremely much.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.