Peripherals forum

General discussion

Maxtor External Drive Problem

by mellow81 / February 9, 2008 7:14 PM PST

Hi all,
First time user here so hoping someone can help....

I have the dreaded Maxtor Onetouch 2 external drive with the blinking blue light ie the circuit board in the casing is dead/faulty.

I have tried several options as mentioned in a previous thread to try and get my drive to work. I apoligise for the length of the post but I believe it is needed to give a accurate picture of what is happening.

This is what I have tried.....
I removed the drive from the casing and installed it into a new external casing.The drive is recongised under device manager in windows but not under disk management ie not shown at all. I beleive this is to do with the drive being locked using the maxtor drivelock feature in that disk management won't see it until it is unlocked. However i can't unlock this drive as I can't get the password screen to appear. I have tried reinstalling the drivers/software, updating the software as recommened on the maxtor website to no avail. Using the onetouch software it won't even see the drive. So is there any way to get the drive unlocked using another program?? or at least a work around to get the password screen up? I don't think data recovery software will work as all the data on the drive is protected/encrypted with truecrypt ie

(I have also tried installing this drive internally and on another computer..no luck). Maxtor/seagate support have not replied to my emails.
Thanks for any help
I'm running Win Xp SP2. Drive is maxtor onetouch 2 250Gb.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Maxtor External Drive Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Maxtor External Drive Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The emails are flooded.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2008 1:24 AM PST

Pick up the phone and call in next time.

Just asking. Where is the backup of what's on this drive?

Collapse -
I know
by mellow81 / February 10, 2008 8:11 PM PST

I know........ i have been beating myself up about it. I guess you learn your lesson once and never do it again. I just didnt relaise how bad these maxtor drives are

Collapse -
While I'd not do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2008 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: I know

I was thinking what I might try but remember I can't try it.

If the data must be retrieved I would CLONE that drive (I use G4U) then get a new Maxtor with that system and have both drives in the system. Then the new drive would have the password software and if I'm very lucky it will allow access to the other drive.

Some may revolt at the idea of adding another maxtor, another drive but when you find out what data recovery costs are you see why we do such things.

Remember that email will not see an answer for some time. Use the phone.

Bob

Collapse -
Query
by mellow81 / February 11, 2008 12:41 PM PST
In reply to: While I'd not do this.

Thanks for your help Bob. Just a couple of questions you might be able to answer before I try something like that.

Is it possible to clone a drive that can not be seen in disk mangement (but recongised by device manager) ?

From what I understand the maxtor software has the password protection built into the drive firmware? and password stored at a designated sector on the drive. Would the password be linked only to a particular drive/serial number?

Collapse -
YES.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2008 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: Query

I use another fine tool to get that done. Look up G4U copydisk on google.com. It's free and for me the one line command to copy is not hard to figure out.

"Would the password be linked only to a particular drive/serial number?"

I'm not privy to their software details. I'm sharing what I would do if I wanted to avoid the costs of fine recovery services like www.drivesavers.com

Bob

Collapse -
What is the jumper set at
by PudgyOne / February 10, 2008 1:43 AM PST

in the back of the Maxtor?

Rick

Collapse -
Jumper Positions
by mellow81 / February 10, 2008 8:07 PM PST

Hi Rick,
The jumper was set to Cable select when it came out of the maxtor case. I have tried it in the cable select, master and slave positions.

Collapse -
Same problem here
by Obiwon2 / February 12, 2008 1:39 PM PST

I as well am experiencing the same problem, not being able to unlock my Maxtor One Touch 2 drive. Was working fine up to a few days ago. The blue power light was always on, not blinking. No matter what I try, I can?t get the Unlock screen to open. It is now physically plugged into my system and I can see the drive in Device Manager as well as Disk Management, however, it is ?Unknown, not initialized and unallocated?.

Can I force the unlock screen to open somehow? Or even though the drive is locked, can the data be recovered?

The last time I used the drive, I pretty much filled it up, with a few Gigs to spare. It?s humming along quietly as if nothing is wrong, while I am sinking countless hours into trying to figure this out.

Thanks for any help, Kevin

Collapse -
Success!
by mellow81 / February 15, 2008 9:45 PM PST
In reply to: Same problem here

Hi Kevin,

Well I am happy to say my problem has been solved. Your problem sounds abit different as I couldn't get the damn disk recognized in disk management. Here is what I ended up doing. It might help you as I gave up on the maxtor software.

1. Remove the drive from the external case and install it internally.
2. Ensure the drive can be seen in device manger.
3. Google HDAT2 and try the unlock component of that software. (Read the instructions on the download page). It didn't work for me but it might work in your case.
4. If not Google A-FF Repair Station and download their free diagnostics software to see if your drive can be unlocked using their software. If it is you can shell out the $50 and presto! Drive unlocked.

Hope this helps as I spent about a week searching numerous sites and pages for a solution. I also tried a few different freeware programs to no avail. Good Luck.

Collapse -
Thank you!!
by Obiwon2 / February 16, 2008 3:30 AM PST
In reply to: Success!

Thank you, Thank you!!

I used the A-FF Repair Station, piad the $50 and it removed the lock on my drive and I now have access to my files (it took less than 5 minutes). I'm jumping with joy! This problem has been a huge hole for my time the past ten days and after a failed attemt to retrieve the data with my technician, I had all but given up hope. I was ready to take a sledge hammer to the Maxtor, but now, forget about locking it, I'll be using it as an extra drive.

Kevin

PS So much for the security of locked drives!!

Collapse -
No worries!
by mellow81 / February 16, 2008 4:46 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you!!

Exactly what I was thinking. What is the point of locking it if someone can pay 50 bucks and get access!

Anyway I was glad I could help as I too have spent many hours trying numerous things with no success.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?