Peripherals forum

General discussion

Maxtor External Drive ~ Cannot access

by lil2rich4u2 / October 15, 2007 10:28 AM PDT

HP 750n
maxtor one touch 300gig external

all of a sudden it disappeared from my computer. I took it to geek squad and they took it out of the shell and hooked it right up to a computer, they said it is spinning but the computer cannot see it.

I setn it away for data recovery and they said they can do it, but it will be $1,800 to do this "level 3" recovery. I dont have that kind of cash.

I hear the drive spinning, but my pc doesnt even see me hooking up a drive. it just says "new usb device" but cannot locate any drivers (which you dont need for m drive anyway)

SO, do i have any options?

Thank you so much, i hope you can help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Maxtor External Drive ~ Cannot access
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Maxtor External Drive ~ Cannot access
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Forgot to add
by lil2rich4u2 / October 15, 2007 10:33 AM PDT

The drive is 3yrs old now, warranty is already voided.

I must recover the data but don't have pockets that deep!

I was considering purchasing a brand new one and taking it apart to use the arms or heads or maybe just get my data disks into the new drive .. BUT i have no idea what im doing with that stuff at all, or if its even an option.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again

Collapse -
Remember we do cover almost every solution at this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2007 10:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
ooh
by lil2rich4u2 / October 15, 2007 10:44 AM PDT

I read a bit of that first thread, it just looked like a ton of people with the same issues and no resolution.

Notice i have removed it from the housing and tried it in both my pc and the test pc at bestbuy, neither recognized the drive.

You still think a new housing might do the trick?

PS i dont have a linux box, or a spare box ... suggestions?

Collapse -
hmm
by lil2rich4u2 / October 15, 2007 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: ooh

That second link looks promising. a few questions ...

1. does it mater that our issues are different? My computer doesnt even see the drive at all, his recognized it as local h:

2. if i download that linux and restart, will it give me a boot menu at startup so i can get back to windows anytime i want?

Collapse -
sorry it wont let me edit ..
by lil2rich4u2 / October 15, 2007 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: hmm

3. Can chkdsk work even though i dont even have a drive letter?

Collapse -
The shorter discussion...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2007 11:28 AM PDT

They used what they call a LiveCD. No install needed and you get your answer in about 2 minutes.

Since we are in data saving mode we would never run chkdsk until the files are safe.

Bob

Collapse -
oh
by lil2rich4u2 / October 15, 2007 11:17 AM PDT

In that long thread i see a bunch of people also had similar issue with their computer not seeing the drive, BUT they had a flashing blue led light to indicate the error.

someone mentioned this error, and they fixed it by connecting the drive to the secondary cable .. i have done this and it still did not see my drive.

So far all the other problems i have seen discuss issues with the drive giving an error. Mine is not, i just cannot see it at all.

Collapse -
some people
by lil2rich4u2 / October 15, 2007 12:31 PM PDT

have had same exact problem as me, but nobody listed a solution

here is a quote from post #184. He seems to have exact same issue (as of a year ago though) on the same drive too! BUT there has been no solution posted for this problem, i read all 14 pages Sad

"I have read through all of these posts. Each one sounds good, but most of them seem to deal with Windows being able to at least see the external drive in the disk manager. However mine does not show in My Computer or Disk Manger.
Will removing the drive from the external case work or is there an even easier solution?
Drive does not work on any computer in any condition.

External HDD: Maxtor One Touch II 300GB"

Collapse -
linux
by lil2rich4u2 / October 16, 2007 1:51 AM PDT

i have been downloading that linux for the last 5hrs haha, the server its on is dead slow. oh well, its at 89% now Happy

Collapse -
omg
by lil2rich4u2 / October 16, 2007 11:59 AM PDT

im losing my mind here

so far i have tried freezing my drive, nothing

tried getting a replacement case, nothing

tried downloading data recovery software .. it can see the drive, but it says "cyclic error when reading data" or something

dangit

how do i get more replies here?

Collapse -
DIY recovery only goes so far.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2007 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: omg

These forums and the replies I noted are the best so when this fails it usually means the next step are data recovery houses like drivesavers.com or others.

Bob

Collapse -
"losing my mind"
by Kees Bakker / October 16, 2007 11:45 PM PDT
In reply to: omg

mabye. The choice is between losing data or losing money.

That's the usual choice for people who think they're losing time by doing a backup.

Kees

Collapse -
had the same problem...One thing you might try
by jf00001 / October 20, 2007 1:40 PM PDT
In reply to: "losing my mind"

I had a 3rd HD which I thought crashed. I got a new 3rd HD and it seemed to crash too. At first my computer recognized it, but after a day it didn't. Both times. Suspicious eh?

I went to the store and got a good talk with a tech. He plugged my 2nd new HD into his computer and it saw it fine. I had tried 3 different computers with the same no-show result. The tech asked me if I was plugging my HD into the FRONT USB port. I said yes, with all three computers I had used the front USB port since it was handy. The tech said a lot of older (read: 2 years old) computers have older 1.1 USB ports in the front, and they're only good for little gadgets like flash drives. He said to always plug the hard drives into the back ports because most likely they are USB 2's. He said the USB 1.1 ports can't handle the power needed for a USB2. He also said just ONE USB2 port can handle up to 10 500gig external hard drives!

So I took my HD home and turned off my computer, turned off and unplugged my 1st and 2nd hard drives.

While the computer was off, I plugged the power into the newest hd which wasn't recognized before, and then the USB into a 4 port hub.

Turned on the computer, and the newest hd was recognized.

I added the 1st and 2nd hard drives on the same 4 port hub, and the computer recognizes them too.

So...so far it's OK. My only problem is my computer asks me which program I want to use to open the drives. (that problem popped up after I got a new motherboard...and I'm not sure if it's related to this whole recognition thing or not)

Hopefully this information can help SOMEone.

Collapse -
The one thing he should have tried was BACKUP.
by VAPCMD / October 21, 2007 1:10 AM PDT

Good suggestion about the USB ports but probably too late for the original poster

Too often I hear about folks buying external drives ... not for backup, but just to add more disk space when they really should have installed another (and perhaps larger) internal drive and started some backup regimen. Externals can very useful when used properly ... but buying one just to add for more disk space without any backup (or real need for portability) is the proverbial accident waiting to happen. The unlucky ones pay dearly or simply lose their digital data.

Hopefully some will learn from reading this thread.

VAPCMD

PS ... Not sure the tech is right about 10 - 500GB HDDs working off one USB 2.0 HUB unless maybe it's USB 2.0 AC POWERED HUB. Maybe an electronics tech or EE can help us on this one.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.