Peripherals forum

General discussion

Maxtor External Drive - A Yet Different Problem

by Nyckel / October 21, 2007 7:30 PM PDT

For some time, when I switched my external drive on the device remained silent, with only the light as a signal that it was on. After a few minutes I received an error message on the pc screen, and I had to switch the HDD off then on again. At this point it started spinning and everything worked. Now the pc does beep as if it detected a peripheral being attached (after a few minutes, that is), then it beeps again when I switch the HDD off, but nothing happens when I switch it back on: the drive does not spin. What can be done about it?
Thanks a lot.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Maxtor External Drive - A Yet Different Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Maxtor External Drive - A Yet Different Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does not spin.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2007 10:34 PM PDT

It's dead. Have them replace it.

Collapse -
Uhmm...
by Nyckel / October 21, 2007 11:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Does not spin.

This means all files are lost forever?

Collapse -
You could try the usual cures.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2007 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Uhmm...

New case...

Collapse -
Quite right
by Nyckel / October 22, 2007 6:35 PM PDT

I bought a new case and the drive does spin when I switch it on, but the pc does not see it: no "new hardware found" message.

I'm sorry, I know this is pretty trivial stuff for you, have patience... But thanks everybody.

Collapse -
Not trivial at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Quite right

But your issue is not different than our longer discussions on this. So I must be short and it is no reflection on you or my thoughts on this. You can imagine how many hours I could spend if members didn't reuse the prior lessons.

-> Be sure to double check those jumpers on the hard disk. One member just moved the drive from old case to new and forget that.

Bob

Collapse -
Wow
by Nyckel / October 23, 2007 7:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Not trivial at all.

Problem solved. Everything all right. Thanks again.

Collapse -
That's always good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Wow

Best of continued luck,

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Not lost ...just get them from your BACKUP files.
by VAPCMD / October 22, 2007 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Uhmm...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.