Desktops forum

General discussion

Maxtor 3200 300Gb External Drive read error

Hi,

I got one of those Maxtor crashes. I was transferring data to my external drive and my laptop got hanged. I had to force restart my laptop. after restart my laptop refused to recognise the external drive.

Also, Whenever the drive is powered on or is trying to read the drive, it gives a beep sound (something like when a game starts). some of the partition softwares recognise the drive but they are not able to rea anything on the disk nor able to access it. but they do show total memory and stuff.

I have searched this forum and tried everything with failures. this makes me feel its a mechanical failure. Please advice what to do. I am more concerned about my data that the drive.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Maxtor 3200 300Gb External Drive read error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Maxtor 3200 300Gb External Drive read error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This discussion.

In reply to: Maxtor 3200 300Gb External Drive read error

Collapse -
have tried it

In reply to: This discussion.

Its NTFS.

I have read the post you referred to. I have a slightly different problem. I have a laptop, so i cant change the hard disks. also, even if i dont connect the external drive to my laptop and just power the drive on, it gives me the beep sound (its more like when we open a inbuild TV game)and then it seems as if the drive is attempting to start but its unable to. it happens 3 times and then dead silence.

Collapse -
You may have missed it.

In reply to: have tried it

The advice was to put the drive in a new housing and/or run recovery software.

As to your laptop, be sure you test the drive and houseing as-is on another machine before you swap the drive to another case.

Bob

Collapse -
i will try that

In reply to: You may have missed it.

I will do that today and let you know. frankly i dont have much of hope as, this beeping sound comes even if i dont connect to the computer. the sound was not there earlier. it sounds like a sort of warning. in fact it comes again if i connect the drive to laptop. so its like whenever someone tries to connect to the hard disk, it gives this sound and some scratching sound and then everything goes dead (except the blue light on the drive)

Collapse -
CPU-instructions....

In reply to: Maxtor 3200 300Gb External Drive read error

I have found this the crux of good PC-operation..
Then there is the over-burden of "other" hardware..
a 300-GB HDD for a LapTop seems a bit...difficult to imagine..
though I think the MAXTOR brand the best..I use a 120-GB Diamond MAX as an EXT..
I have found a Hardware solution to LESS than Perfect CPU's..
That in the Monitor PROPERTIES section..to drop Hardware Accelleration ONE NOTCH/compensates for a LESS than Perfect CPU.

Collapse -
thanx

In reply to: CPU-instructions....

thanx a lot for ur replies.
I have even tried freezing my hard drive with no obvious benefit. so i decided to part with my data and send it to maxtor..but this definetly creates jitters in me..because what will replace my existing drive will be from the same company and that too a refurbished one.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.