Storage forum

General discussion

Maxtor 250 Gb hard Drive Installation Problem

Hi everyone, yesterday I decided to upgrade my existing hard drive on my cpu. The original one began making a noise so I got scared and decided to upgrade. My current system is a Dell Dimension 2350 w/ 2.2 ghz p4 and 512 ram running Windows XP. I decided to buy the drive at the following link - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1059574110662&skuId=5874244&productCategoryId=pcmcat33200050001&type=product

I installed the drive fine, went through all the procedures and had my cpu up and running, therefore I know that the cpu does indeed accept the drive and the installation was originally done properly. The problem was that, as you know, you need Windows XP SP1 or higher to access the rest of the partition (using the easy installation for Maxtor it partitioned the drive to 127 gb). I installed the OS w/ SP 1 and installed the registry patch that Maxtor supplies to allow the cpu to access the rest of the partition on the drive which worked fine. The problem was that, while I got a message stating that the registry patch was successfully applied and I could now access the rest of the drive, I didn't know how to partition the rest of it so that it can actually be used. This is where the problem occurred. I opened up the MaxBlast software and I wasn't sure where to go. I booted up w/ the Maxblast disk in order to attempt to reclaim the rest of the hard drive and I did something in one of the settings that, from what I understand, tells the system bios that the drive is actually smaller than it is, or something to that effect. I didn't know this at the time and accidentally went ahead and did this thinking that by changing the number it will increase the drive size to the 250 gb max. When I restarted my CPU I received a disk read error and it would not load up the OS. I went back to try and switch it back but it didn't work and now I'm stuck. I tried reformatting the hard drive but when I go to the Windows XP installation it only showed a 32 gb partition. I attempted to reformat again and this time it showed up as a 28 gb partition even though both times it was supposed to be a 127 gb partition. I attempted to install Windows XP on the remaining partition but the setup software indicates that the drive is improperly formatted and must be reformatted to install XP. After attempting the format the setup is supposed to continue installing but instead brings me back to the installation and formatting part that I previously had done, instead of continuing on with the installation. When I try running the computer without any cd's in the drive I get an error saying that something is missing (I can't recall what it was but I believe it started with an n). I ran a diagnostic problem to see if there are any problems with the hard drive and the scan indicated that the drive is working fine and there are no problems so I believe that it's a problem that I've created. The only idea that I have at this point is to reinstall the system bios which I can obtain from Dell.com. I am currently wiping out the drive completely in the diagnostic utility (the Maxblast software is turning all binary code on the hard drive to 0's) and I'm hoping that will allow me to start over and perform the installation properly. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem may be? My fear is that the hard drive is now lost and I will have to return it to get it fixed? I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. Hopefully this detailed explanation will allow the moderators to assist me in solving the problem. If not, when I get home I will have to call Maxtor tech support. Thanks for any help. Manny.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Maxtor 250 Gb hard Drive Installation Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Maxtor 250 Gb hard Drive Installation Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Maxtor 250 Gb hard Drive Installation Problem

In reply to: Maxtor 250 Gb hard Drive Installation Problem

It's this simple. XP supports 127GB or 137GB (depends on how you count bytes) volumes. Period.

You can remove all partitions, boot the XP CD and create the first partition of the maximum size it supports and install the OS.

AFTER YOU INSTALL SP1, THEN and ONLY THEN can you use the Disk Management tool to create the second (or more) partitions to access/use the rest of the drive.

Any other method of install is DANGEROUS to you. Here's why. If I needed to fix an XP install and it was on an over 127GB partition, I could not use a XP CD. I would require the slightly newer XP SP1 CD.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Maxtor 250 Gb hard Drive Installation Problem

I understand that Windows XP will only support 127gb or 137 gb partitions unless you have SP 1 installed. The problem that I had was that I wasn't sure where to go to get the rest of the partition activated once I installed the patch. Somewhere along the line I must have changed a setting that will not allow my cpu to recognize the hard drive. At this point, my problem isn't getting the rest of the partition to work, it's trying to get the OS installed on the hard drive and the 127gb partiton back so that I could continue with the setup and get the full power of my hard drive to work.

Collapse -

Also, I forgot to mention that after I began receiving the disk error message I tried to do an advanced install of the entire 250gb but that didn't work either. The installation disk that I have for Windows XP contains SP 1 so I figured that it would not cause a problem but that didn't work either.

Collapse -

also one more thing....the error that I received was "NTLDR is Missing"

Collapse -

lol...sorry I keep replying but I keep finding more information that might help to solved the problem

http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1214&p_created=1030126235&p_sid=ZFoVtokh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjM3JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9c2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwxPTMzJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPSZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPSZwX2NhdF9sdmwyPSZwX3BhZ2U9NQ**&p_li=

if you click the link on the page you will see the error that I am getting when trying to boot up without a cd. The problemm is that after I get that little blue screen that it shows, it goes straight to the NTLDR error and I can't do anything

Collapse -

"I tried to do an advanced install of the entire 250gb but that didn't work either. "

That won't work. I noted such and you confirmed it.

It's very simple. You can wipe the drive of all partitions and boot the XP and install it much like you see at http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPHome/installxphome1.htm I would not use the diskette that came with the drive or it will likely fail.

To get use of the rest of the drive, I install SP1 (now SP2) and then and only then reboot and then use the Drive Management tool to create another partition from the remaining disk space.

Let me be clear you can not safely install the XP you have on over 127 (or 137...) GB partitions.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -

Thanks so much for all your help. So my fear that the hard drive is corrupted and unusable is not correct? I've tried to format using the diskette and the Windows XP installation but I keep getting the NTLDR error. As I mentioned earlier, I am in the process of wiping the drive completely clean through a utility in Maxblast that turns all the binary code on the hard drive to 0's. I'm hoping that will allow me to start over again. So your suggestion is to not use the Maxblast software? Have I created any irreparable problems on the hard drive because of all the different, and failed, attempts I have made at trying to get Windows XP and the system back up and running? Should I reinstall the system bios from the Dell Website? The reason I am still confused is that after all these problems occurred I tried to do the easy installation as I originally did. Everything works fine but when I go to the Windows XP installation the existing partition is only about 30 gb. The first time, adn only successful time i tried it, it was recognized as a 127 gb partition. The installation program then indicates that there is something wrong with the hard drive (incorrectly formatted, corrupt, etc.) and that it must be reformatted. I do that but after it's done it doesn't continue with the installation, instead it just restarts and goes back to the formatting page?

Collapse -

" I've tried to format using the diskette and the Windows XP installation but I keep getting the NTLDR error. As I mentioned earlier, I am in the process of wiping the drive completely clean through a utility in Maxblast that turns all the binary code on the hard drive to 0's. I'm hoping that will allow me to start over again. So your suggestion is to not use the Maxblast software?"

I don't use the Maxblast software because I don't need to use it. I find that if one uses such, it's for the DIAGNOSTIC only. I'd rather not repeat this too much.

Again, AFTER you install XP, and AFTER you apply SP2, then and only then can you create another partition and format the remaining space.

I'm repeating myself, but with just a XP CD it would be a dangerous install to try to make an over 127 GB boot partition for XP.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -

thanks again, i understand what you're saying. The problem is that I can't seem to get the OS working in order to follow the steps you have instructed. I don't understand why the installation program only recognizes a 28-32 gb partition when it was formatted to 127 gb. Is there another program that I can use to complete this? I'm hoping that the utility that is running now to wipe the drive clean will allow me to start over. Again, my problem now isn't with accessing the rest of the drive's size, but instead I'm just concerned with getting the original 127 gb's back and getting XP up and running. After that I'll follow the steps you gave me to get the rest of the disk drive working.

Collapse -
How did you format it?

I offered a link that shows a pictoral of a XP install. NO PRIOR PARTITION OR FORMATTING WAS NEEDED and frankly that's a great way to trip up a XP install.

Your last post seems to reveal you are trying to partition and format prior to the XP install.

Don't do that!

Bob

Collapse -
Re: How did you format it?

In reply to: How did you format it?

The first time that I tried formatting the hard drive was done through MaxBlast and it worked fine. I eventually messed up when trying to partition the rest of the drive and ended up starting over. Since then I've been having problems. When I run the XP software to install the OS it identifies the hard drive as being only 28gb in capacity when it should be 127gb. It also mentions that it needs to be reformatted but after I do that it just restarts the installation with the same 28gb information. That's why I'm getting so confused. I've tried deleting that partition but nothing seems to work. All I want at this point is to COMPLETELY start over...as if the drive had just been taken out of the box. From my understanding, teh only real way to do that is through the utility that is running now that changes all sectors on the drive to 0's. Again, what is confusing me so much is the fact that the XP installation keeps recognizing the partition as 28gb after I run the steps that originally provided a successful installation. This is the first time that I've ever tried to isntall a new hard drive and that's why I'm so confused and running into all these problems. Maybe I got in a little over my head?

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: How did you format it?

I still may not have been clear on how to prepare the drive. When I install XP on a new drive, there are NO PARTITIONS or formatted drives on the drive.

I've found it best to let XP do all that.

So far, I still read you are somehow leaving a partition on the drive prior to booting the XP CD.

-------------

There are two other items to discuss, but I don't see those as an issue yet since I've yet to read the right words in your post as to a clean XP install.

The other items that I'll write about AFTER I read you tried a clean XP install (link supplied!) are BIOS updates and pestering the supplier of your XP for a new XP SP1 CD.

Bob

Collapse -

Ok I see what you're saying. I'm just having trouble getting rid of that partition. As I mentioned earlier, after the utility is done running and the drive is completely wiped out, I'm gonna go ahead and try the steps you've provided. I figured that the BIOS update should be done before the hard drive and OS are installed though? Also, is there a reason I need a new XP cd? I have 2 different ones. Once that was supplied by Dell w/ SP1 and the other that I bought when XP first came out and used to upgrade a previous computer's operating system. At this point I just wanna get that NTLDR error gone and get XP running on the 127 gb partition as it originally was before I messed everything up.

Collapse -

"Ok I see what you're saying. I'm just having trouble getting rid of that partition."

If you look at the graphical install example, one of the first steps is the partition selection. Also on that menu is a delete feature. Use.

"As I mentioned earlier, after the utility is done running and the drive is completely wiped out, I'm gonna go ahead and try the steps you've provided. I figured that the BIOS update should be done before the hard drive and OS are installed though?"

That's my policy. To give XP the best shot at installing, the BIOS updates are completed first.

"Also, is there a reason I need a new XP cd? I have 2 different ones. Once that was supplied by Dell w/ SP1 and the other that I bought when XP first came out and used to upgrade a previous computer's operating system. "

You don't need a "new" XP CD, just one with SP1 integrated so you get proper hard disk support. Right now, you get a very convulated install procedure that could be much easier with a proper CD. You should be able to pester (nicely!) Microsoft to replace your CD that doesn't support a clean install on your 250GB drive. Also, Dell may be able to supply one. I'd ask both. I've been able to install such without issue, but I know the limitations of an original issue XP CD.

"At this point I just wanna get that NTLDR error gone and get XP running on the 127 gb partition as it originally was before I messed everything up."

You could try your original setup method, but as you may suspect, I don't use the drive maker's CD.

In closing, try the XP forum if you have the XP install fail again.

Bob

Collapse -

ok....sorry to keep going with all these questions, i know it's gettign annoying......after i delete the partition the hard drive size is indicated as 28 gb instead of the 127 it should be? is there a reason why that is happeneing?

Collapse -

I actually just remembered that at a certain point I had tried the process you described. I deleted the 28 gb partition. What has completely confused me is why there is a 28 gb partition???? Originally it was supposed to be a 127gb partition and I had previously formatted it that way. I understand you are saying not to partition before installing XP but I still don't understand why it is supposed to be partitioned as a 127gb partition but it's only showing up as 28 gb in the XP setup????

Collapse -
Why trip up the installer?

It's your choice on this one.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Why trip up the installer?

In reply to: Why trip up the installer?

my choice on how to install? do you know why the xp setup is only recognizing a 28 gb hard drive though?

Collapse -
Yes I do.

In reply to: Re: Why trip up the installer?

The stock XP CD doesn't support such a drive.

I thought I wrote that and the usual workarounds?

Best of luck,

Collapse -
Why it shows 28GB.

In reply to: Maxtor 250 Gb hard Drive Installation Problem

The BIOS doesn't support the big drive. Also, the OS doesn't as well.

Sorry, but it's not clear you updated the BIOS. If the BIOS update doesn't cure it, that leaves you to...

1. Use the method you did last time.
2. Get a XP SP1 CD.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Why it shows 28GB.

In reply to: Why it shows 28GB.

that's weird considering that it worked the first time? I downloaded the bios install from Dell.com so I'm gonna reinstall the bios and hopefully that will cure the problem?????

Collapse -
Best of luck,

In reply to: Re: Why it shows 28GB.

This time is not the first time. The condition of the drive is not the same and its rare that people document what they did.

Best of luck after the BIOS update.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.