General discussion

Maxing out pc speed

Can creating multiple non-admin users accelerate my PC? I know there's only one registry, and I have over 100 programs that I use. I want to reduce my registry yet keep access to all these programs.

Would this approach only load registry items that is used by a specific profile? If this were a valid approach, I envision user "Music" for my recording studio, "Business" with music apps stripped out, "Casual", etc.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Maxing out pc speed
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Maxing out pc speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Since the registry has so little speed impact.

Why bother with that? Wouldn't a RAID array pay off here?

- Collapse -
No

No, and you really just need to forget about the registry altogether. Far too many people go spelunking in there, or run a registry program, and then find that their OS is now not functioning properly.

The registry is not some secret black box full of tweaks that can make your system run faster. Windows already comes about as highly optimized as you can get, and in the cases where it's NOT as tuned as it could be, there's a very good reason for that.

I don't care what OS you're using, there are only three things that will have any measurable effect on system performance.

1: CPU
2: RAM
3: Limiting the number of running programs

That's it. All those various speed up programs basically just go in, shut down non-essential Windows services, and delete shortcuts for programs that run at startup. Seriously. They basically just limit the number of programs running, so when you reboot your system that first time you think, "Wow! This is so much faster!" But all you're really doing is trading a little startup time for longer load times later as those programs and services have to be started manually later. Also, those "free RAM" programs are all scams. Don't waste your money. You also don't want to fall into the trap of thinking you need a whole lot of free RAM. Free RAM is wasted RAM. The OS tries to use as much free RAM as it can to speed up your system, and will automatically free up memory when needed by something else. When you think about it really... If the RAM is free, it's just sitting there idle, not doing anything. What possible use could that be to you? It's like having storage garage that you never use. It just sits there, empty, but you're paying for it every month. The proper thing to be asking yourself would be, "Why?!"

CPU, RAM, and limiting the number of running programs. Those are the only three things that will consistently make your system faster. So wherever it is you got the idea that prompted this thread, never listen to them, or visit that site, again. If this is any indication of the kind of "information" you'll get, you're better off without.

- Collapse -
(NT) Definitely no.

CNET Forums

Forum Info