Tip

Maximizing My Ram Performance/Usage. Virtual Memory Settings

Just upgraded my memory from 4GB to 8GB. I don't want to pressure my CPU too much.

1. Is it possible to run my computer putting more work on my memory? (Maximizing the performance: Not really sure what I'm asking or saying)

2. Also what should my virtual memory (total paging file size for all drives) be set to?

3. I am also wondering what is virtual memory and how would it affect your CPU usage or computer performance in anyway?

So here's my computer specs right now:
Processor (CPU) : AMD Phenom(tm) II N660 Dual-Core Processor (3Ghz Each Core)
Current Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (build 7600), 64-bit
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6650M 1GB DDR3

I use my computer for gaming, surfing the web, running heavy applications like Adobe software's, and rendering videos.

Thanks And Please Help, Leave A Comment.
I Am A Complete Noob To Computers. Sorry Grin

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Maximizing My Ram Performance/Usage. Virtual Memory Settings
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Maximizing My Ram Performance/Usage. Virtual Memory Settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Don't worry about it

Don't worry about it. The default mode of operation is to use RAM before swap, so just let Windows manage the swap file and ignore the crap that surfaces every so often about setting it to 1.5-2X the amount of physical RAM. It's outmoded advice that was of marginal benefit at the best of times.

- Collapse -
Unless this is Windows 98

Let Windows manage it.

CNET Forums