Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Maximising Windows

by Bimsalabeem / April 23, 2004 1:41 AM PDT

This concerns secondary windows launched from within Internet Explorer 6.0. i.e. by left-clicking a link and selecting 'Open in new window'.
Can anyone tell me (definitively) how to ensure these windows open maximised? I have Explorers 'Properties' set to 'Maximise'.
I have heard numerous theories about this but NONE of them have worked!
Thanks.
I run Windows 2000

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Maximising Windows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Maximising Windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Maximizing Windows
by Reno / April 23, 2004 5:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Maximising Windows

Here are a couple of ways you could try.

1. Open an application (such as Explorer).
2. Maximize the window using the Maximize button in the top-right corner.
3. Hold either Shift or Ctrl on your keyboard and close the application window by pressing X or File > Close/Exit.

The other way is to:
1. Right-click the shortcut icon that you use to start the application.
2. From the pop-up menu, select Properties.
3. There will be four tabs, click the Shortcut tab.
4. Look for Run:; next to it will be a drop-down menu.
5. Select Maximized from the menu.
6. After you are done with the above, click the OK button.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Re:Maximising Windows
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2004 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Maximising Windows

"Theory" is just about right. Microsoft didn't implement a method to do this feature in any coherent manner.

You can "train" the new size of the launched IE, but no method I've seen reliably makes the newly sub-launched IE "maximized."

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Maximising Windows
by Bimsalabeem / April 27, 2004 11:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:Maximising Windows

Thanks to Reno for the suggestions, but I think you hit the nail on the head Bob - Reno's advice (which I had tried before) did not work this time either and the problem seems to be getting worse - no consistency at all.
That's life in Microsoft's world!
Thanks for your comments.
(anyone from Microsoft listening??)

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Maximising Windows
by null. / April 28, 2004 3:10 AM PDT

Correct me if I am wrong
It has been my experience that there is a pattern though.
First let me say if you have one IE window open only and close it while it is maximized the next one will open max. Multiple windows gets much more complex.
This is threaded and layered, that is to say if you have two opened and open several others starting the two threads from the original two, see below

IE Window #1 --> #3
|-> #4

IE Window #2 --> #5
|-> #6

Closing window #4 has no effect on the size of any subsequent window opened in a thread continued with #3.

Likewise closing any window threaded from window #1 has no effect on the opening state of a new window in thread #2.

Confused yet, I believe you can make all open max. Open one IE window alone, let it load, maximize it then close it. doing this will cause all windows to open max unless you inadvertly close one not max. Or someone other than yourself does while logged in as you.

Don Erickson

Collapse -
Doesn't work either-->Maximising Windows
by null. / April 28, 2004 3:25 AM PDT

tried it and failed
Don Erickson

Collapse -
Workaround though-->Maximising Windows
by null. / April 28, 2004 3:39 AM PDT

Right click on the shortcut you use to open IE and select Properties.
Near the bottom of the Properties window you will see the window size options in the 'Run' box, select maximized. Click Apply and Ok.

For IE's second or new window, open it from within a link in the first window. Dragging the edges to get it as large as you can (no such thing as a 'maximized' new window).
Then close the original IE window and then close the second. The order of operations matters.

Don Erickson

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.