Question

Max memory for Dell 5455 Inspiron

My sister has a Dell 5455 Inspiron Pentium with Duo Core CPU. It came with 4 gb memory. Can this computer be upgraded to 8gb?

I recently upgraded my Dell I5 to 16gb so now have four 2gb memory sticks and I would like to put them in her computer if it will allow me to upgrade to that.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Max memory for Dell 5455 Inspiron
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Max memory for Dell 5455 Inspiron
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
That's pretty easy to figure out.

Head to http://www.crucial.com and see what is offered for your machine.

HOWEVER I would consider what OS this machine is running. If 32BIT, no gain.
Bob

- Collapse -
Are there specs for the 5545 Inspiron?

Her system is a 64 bit so that's not a problem. I don't know that I'd really trust Crucial either. When I wanted to upgrade my Dell I5 to 16gb, their system said I could. However, Dell told me I could not. Talked to Dell again at a later time and got a person with some brains. He ended up doing a flash upgrade and that did let me upgrade my system. So, Crucial is not always right.

Are there any specs around for that 5545 Inspiron? I should think that would tell me. I do not have access to her computer as she lives in the central time zone and I'm in the Pacific time zone.

- Collapse -
That's a good point.

Crucial often expects us to be using a current BIOS.

If the machine is not, I think the only person that can know the limit is at Dell.
Bob

CNET Forums