Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Mattresses...

by Charlie Thunell PL&T / February 10, 2004 5:39 PM PST

I just wonder if anybody here has any experience from a mattress from a company called Tempur-Pedic. If so, please share it with me.

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mattresses...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mattresses...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nobody? :-(
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / February 11, 2004 2:15 PM PST
In reply to: Mattresses...

Nobody has any experience? Anybody has any other suggestion as far as a good mattress for those with a bad back/neck?

Collapse -
Actually I was hoping someone would answer you.
by Roger NC / February 11, 2004 7:58 PM PST
In reply to: Nobody? :-(

I've been curious about them myself, and read up on the net a bit once or twice. They did win several awards, and I think Consumer Awards found them to be a good product and worth their costs and living up to their claims.

What I didn't find was any information relating to their performance with heavier people. Not something you normally can find about things. Considering everyone talks about the obesity in American, it's a bit odd that there isn't more advertising and facts about durability under stress, no matter how PC they'd have to word it.

roger

Collapse -
Few links...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / February 11, 2004 8:11 PM PST

These are the only links that I have found so far.

Reseller

Producer's website

I have spoken to the people at TP and they claim that it is ideal for overweight people since it supports the entire body. Is it true? I have no clue! They always give you good info. But you may want to call them and ask them about your particualr needs. I am looking for a good mattress for somebody else, but I think the TP is a very good one. However I wish there weremore people posting about mattresses. To get a good night's sleep is very important.

Collapse -
Re:Few links...
by Dick White / February 11, 2004 10:29 PM PST
In reply to: Few links...

I didn't respond to your first post because you seemed to be specifically asking about the TP mattress, and I don't have one so I can't tell you any more than I've seen in the ads. However if you are looking for other general recommendations, I can absolutely recommend the Select Comfort Sleep Number air mattress system http://www.selectcomfort.com . It is expensive, but I find it extremely comfortable. It has a bedside remote control clicker to pump it up (firmer) or let some air out (softer) as you wish when you wish. The air sac is under a thick pad, so you don't feel like you're on a balloon, and the whole thing has a firm foam box edge around it for more support and traditional shape. The thing I especially like about it, the queen and king sizes have separate mattresses for his 'n hers (or whatever...). This is useful not only so that each can have their preference in firmness, but they react to body movement independently. The firm foam edge strip extends up the middle between the two air sacs and this isolates them so that one person can turn over/ get up in the middle of the night/ whatever and the other person will not be bounced around or feel the weight shifting at all. We both sleep much better now. The only down side of this firmer edge strip up the middle is it does make for a slight ridge when you're in the middle of the bed for shared "activities" - but you'll adapt pretty quickly and go to one side or the other... Wink

dw

Collapse -
Re:Mattresses...
by Mosonnow / February 11, 2004 10:27 PM PST

Dear Charlie

I was hoping for replies too! Tempur has only been around for about a year in the UK.

When I bought a new mattress about a year ago, I thought of it, but it was such an unknown commodity that I did not get very far. (Eg they were only available to order so one couldn't have a "nice little lie down" to see(?) how they felt.

Therefore I opted for a Dunlopillo(sp?), which is a dense foam thing. Better against allergens, eg dust mites, (versus normal sprung mattress) and doesn't need turning, and of course no springs sticking up. The funny thing is that I had one when I was a kiddiewinkie (which is what made me think of it), but they are very expensive.

My decision to go for Dunlopillo was based on my not understanding the Tempur philosphy that it moulds to your body - i.e. that it depresses where your body is heaviest. I always thought that mattresses were meant to provide support so that they Didn't do this. But what do I know?

Both are very expensive here so either is an investment.

Sorry I can't help more - but I know someone here who is interested, so if anyone else ...

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
PS...
by Mosonnow / February 11, 2004 10:30 PM PST

Tempur advertise here that they do matresses and pillows. In the absence of anything better, you could just try a pillow and guess the extrapolation to a matress.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
(NT) They also sell pads for on top of other mattresses or cots, etc, but expensive.....
by Roger NC / February 11, 2004 10:45 PM PST
In reply to: PS...

Collapse -
Interesting points of view...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / February 12, 2004 1:19 AM PST

I will call them tonight and ask them about the support on the parts of the body that are the heaviest, as Mo said. I found that a very interesting point! Thanks and keep posting if you have any more ideas/thoughts.

Collapse -
Ask them also,
by James Denison / February 12, 2004 3:24 AM PST

...about changing positions during the night and how long it takes to conform to the new shape and how much resistance to moving from one position to another is there? Difficulty in position change is one beef of mine against water beds and I suspect would be the same against a "shape conforming" type mattress.

Collapse -
Great!
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / February 12, 2004 3:34 AM PST
In reply to: Ask them also,

I will definitely do so James! Very good suggestion. What mattress do you have now?

Collapse -
Englander Caress Extra Firm Queen size
by James Denison / February 12, 2004 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: Great!

That's what the label says, but can't find it on the internet. Seems they've changed the names of their products in the past few years. The link below is similar to ours, probably the same with a different model name now. The closest one I see they have now is called Tension Ease. We did get the heavy duty coil springs, but my wife would prefer a softer bed, however for me it's much better than the one we had before aned it's firmness allows me to turn and twist around in bed to my other side without much difficulty. It's not for everyone, but is good for heavier people. My wife does appreciate it doesn't leave her sliding downhill toward the valley I created in an earlier one. No more cliff hanger nights for her, LOL.

http://www.thesleepzone.com/englander.htm
http://www.thesleepzone.com/englander_history.htm
http://www.epinions.com/content_83112660612
http://www.epinions.com/content_36111224452
The last paragraph here was my experience too!
http://www.epinions.com/content_86526824068
This customer was unhappy with the latest version of it.

The problem with trying to get honest opinions around the internet is I think some of these companies have people paid to go around to them and praise the product and then under another psuedonym to diss rival products. Everything you read should not be taken at face value. For some it's just different preferences. I think a small built person would do well with a shaping mattress, I suspect a heavy person would feel they were being swallowed by it. Our prior mattress (more than 10 years ago) constantly contributed to daily back pain from being too soft. My spine was being flexed first one way, then another from one side sleep to the other. Even though I have a back problem, this firm mattress alleviated most of that. It also is firm enough I can manipulate the back with some yoga type chiropractic moves just before sleeping, and the previous mattress I had to do that on the floor first and then often have the back move out of place while sleeping in bed. I see they advertise the Tension Ease as 12.75 guage steel, I think the one I bought was 11.5 guage steel, but they may not make it that firm anymore.

Collapse -
by Evie / February 12, 2004 11:34 PM PST

I recently purchased a "memory foam" mattress topper (made by Sealy) for our firm mattress. Took it out of the box yesterday to expand ... will post a report in a couple of days for anyone interested.

Recent reports have claimed that an ultra firm mattress is not as good for bad backs as was previously thought. Initially our firm mattress was good for both of us. Lately I have had severe pain/stiffness upon getting up from the bed. I can walk this out in about 10 minutes, but it's gotten really bad! Other than that and the occasional twinge, I've been pretty lucky to have been problem free with my back going on my second year now. So my bed causing me pain has GOT to go! My sister and her hubby purchased a similar topper for their firm bed and it has really helped her hubby in particular (he has had back surgery). I'm hoping this is the answer for us too. I laid on a total foam mattress a while back in a store and it just felt strange -- too spongy for me and I'm not sure it would be something I could get used to. I've been reading that the firm mattress with the foam or pillow top is best to ease pressure points but offer adequate support. I hope *they* are right!

Collapse -
by Mosonnow / February 12, 2004 11:45 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Mattresses...

Interesting ... I have a known problem with my back and find that sleeping on a proper bed with three pillows means that I can get out of bed and actually stand up in the morning (without the ten-minute walkabout as you say). Although, if I sleep on the settee with the back of the settee supporting my back, then no problems (against all logical odds). OTOH, if I sleep on my back flat, with no pillows at all, this is also very good. I don't know why any of this is, but I acknowledge your post as very interesting about such things.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Funny you mention three pillows ...
by Evie / February 13, 2004 10:14 PM PST

... and a comfortable setee. I sleep pain free on our couch with a "hollow" in one cushion -- basically I think I am sleeping with my head and shoulders somewhat elevated between that hollow and the armrest. The cushions are just your basic foam. When visiting the folks recently I propped myself up with two big pillows and slept pretty well even tho their guest bed and my back don't agree too well.

Well, last night was the first memory foam sleep. I really like the feel. My back hurt less this morning but still was a little stiff. Hubby is still sleeping so I'll wait for his verdict Happy I will give it a few nights, but I'm thinking of investing in one of those bed wedges like here.

This is frustrating as hell for me because my back has really been good since I went through physical therapy for a ruptured disc two springs ago. I have no problems with activity limits. I sleep pretty well (well as well as one can with a buzz saw bed hog on the other side of the bed) ... it's just when I get up it feels like I tried to lift a small elephant or something!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Best morning remedy and quick working for disc problem is;
by James Denison / February 14, 2004 4:12 AM PST

upon arising for the day, drink a full glass of warm water, then give a about 10 minutes to work. When we are asleep we tend to dehydrate some and too often the first thing consumed is a cup of coffee which adds to that. Rehydrating after sleep will swell the disc back up and keeps it from bulging as much. Think of it like a tire, which when fully inflated rides high, but when going flat bulges at the edges. That bulging action is what presses on the nerves and ligament tissue and creates the cramping pain. I've been having the flu this week and the worst thing I can do for my back is use cold caps that have drying agents in them, or the psuedoephedra that has replaced the phenylpropanolamine HCL they used to contain. Keep yourself hydrated and you will have less back pain.

Collapse -
In this case though ...
by Evie / February 14, 2004 5:13 AM PST

... it wouldn't explain morning pain only when I sleep on a flat bed (without propping) but not on my couch.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Let us know...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / February 13, 2004 7:27 PM PST

Please let us know how it is!

I am sorry for not having called Tempur yet, but have been busy... As soon as I have news for you folks, I will let you know what they say!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.