TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Matrix Switcher

by joetelecom / October 1, 2009 3:27 AM PDT

I am not too familiar with matrix switchers but I need one. The ones with HDMI are too pricey. Anyone have any suggestions on one and the best way to wire everything? I'm looking to connect 2 VGA, 1 Bluray, 1 DVD, 1 VHS to 2 LCD TVs and 1 projector.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Matrix Switcher
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Matrix Switcher
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: Matrix Switcher
by FaithfulSinner / October 1, 2009 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Matrix Switcher

It looks like you desire a 5X3 Matrix switcher that has multiple formats(2 VGA, 1 Bluray, 1 DVD, 1 VHS to 2 LCD TVs and 1 projector.) A product that matches your exact needs may be hard to find. To be more cost effective, I would pick 1 format and work with that. A VGA Matrix switcher shouldn't be hard to find, with or without audio. But that will likely eliminate a few of your sources. Is that an option? Maybe nixing the VCR?

Collapse -
vga
by joetelecom / October 1, 2009 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Matrix Switcher

Through my research so far, that's how it seems so far. Crestron makes a newer hdmi matrix switcher that uses modules for different inputs. It would be perfect if it wasn't 7-8 grand for everything. The product i am currently looking at is the Extron MVX 88 VGA A. All VGA, so I was curious if a bluray would work over VGA with a component to VGA cable. The extron does accept RGBHV,RGsB,RGBS, and HDTV component video. I am not sure if the HDCP will cause an issue with VGA? As for the VHS player, well I kind of need the option for it. Is there a good way to convert the signal? Or do they make VHS with component out? Maybe a combo DVD/VHS? I don't have a lot of experience with this that's why all the questions.

thanks

Collapse -
HDCP and VCR
by FaithfulSinner / October 1, 2009 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: vga

HDCP is not a factor with VGA connections, so that is not an issue. You can go from Bluray Component Out to VGA with that cable, 3RCA to VGA. As for a VCR with Component out, your best bet would be to look at DVD/VCR combos. Even then, you may need to scale the signal up for a VGA connection to transmit the signal. VCR's do not put out high resolutions.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?