General discussion

matching existing speakers with new av receiver?

I was wondering if anyone could give me some input on whether I can purchase any receiver with the speakers I have now. They are not the greatest but my concern is they are rated at 4 ohms. I would like a sony to utilize other sony devices but am open. Just looking for good sound for movies. Will eventually replace for better speakers at a later date. thanks

jb

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: matching existing speakers with new av receiver?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: matching existing speakers with new av receiver?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
matching existing speakers with new av receiver?

Much can be said on this subject. Much has been said. The bottom line is that you'll be fine connecting your 4 ohm speakers to pretty much any commercially available receiver for "home theater" applications. They are most often designed to drive 8 ohm loads, so you are correct to ask the question since a lower impedence will be asking the amp to work harder.

You can google/bing something like "connecting 4 ohm speakers to an 8 ohm receiver" and you'll get links like this:

http://www.audioholics.com/education/frequently-asked-questions/connecting-4-ohm-speakers-to-an-8-ohm-receiver-or-amplifier

Morgan Harman
The Tech Source
http://www.TheTechSource.net
Home Theaters and more? in Southern California.
Lic.# 849004

- Collapse -
Impedence matching

If you're not pleased with the sound from those older speakers, you could do yourself a big favor by matching them with some cheaper 4 ohm speakers to match the impedance and also fill in some of the response that's missing and get the best performance witout taxing your system.

CNET Forums

Forum Info