Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Mary Landrieu: I'll Punch Bush, 'Literally'

by Edward ODaniel / September 4, 2005 11:01 AM PDT
Sunday, Sept. 4, 2005 10:06 a.m. EDT
Mary Landrieu: I'll Punch Bush, 'Literally'

Sen. Mary Landrieu threatened the president of the United States with physical violence on Sunday, saying that if he or any other government official criticizes New Orleans police for failing to keep civil order in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina - "I might likely have to punch him - literally."

"If one person criticizes [our sheriffs], or says one more thing, including the president of the United States, he will hear from me - one more word about it after this show airs and I - I might likely have to punch him - literally," Landrieu railed on "ABC's "This Week."

Interesting to note that Sen. Landrieu's brother is one of the Louisianna officials that dropped the ball. He is Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mary Landrieu: I'll Punch Bush, 'Literally'
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mary Landrieu: I'll Punch Bush, 'Literally'
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Doubt if she could interrupt his vacation long enough
by EZRIDER714 / September 4, 2005 3:34 PM PDT

to actually do it. It would not wake him up anyhow.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I wonder what it would take to wake YOU up.
by EdH / September 4, 2005 8:55 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) nah ed to blind to see the truth
by Mark5019 / September 5, 2005 12:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Been talking to ALICE again?
by Edward ODaniel / September 5, 2005 12:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
couldnt this be taken as a threat?
by Mark5019 / September 5, 2005 12:35 AM PDT

and call for an areest?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) So much for women bringing civility to politics! LOL
by Evie / September 5, 2005 12:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
No
by JP Bill / September 5, 2005 12:42 AM PDT

No...she said ''might likely'' not ''will''

Unless there is something in the article that wasn't posted

Collapse -
Been in Canada too long?
by Edward ODaniel / September 5, 2005 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: No

It is indeed illegal to communicate a threat concern ing a sitting President. The attack doesn't even have to be overt as hers was (especially with her emphasis on LITERALLY) - 18 USC Sec. 871. It is also covered under 18 USC Sec. 16.

All such that become known are investigated and many such have resulted in prison sentences. The Secret Service takes them on a case by case basis in determining which get prosecuted and which are let off with "stern warnings".

Here is one such:
http://www.visualeditors.com/forum/archive/mental-note-dont-threaten-president-on-editorial-page-1991.htm

And another:
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2002-12-03-computer-threat_x.htm

And another:
http://www.artistsnetwork.org/news2/news84.html

Having said that it is illegal to threaten a sitting president you should also be aware that there is another law that covers past presidents, potential presidents, and family members too - 18 USC Sec. 879.

http://uscode.house.gov/uscode-cgi/fastweb.exe?getdoc+uscview+t17t20+504+3++%28Threaten%20president%29%20%20AND%20%28%2818%29%20ADJ%20USC%29%3ACITE%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20

Interestingly enough the Cindy Sheehan demonstrators could have been charged under several federal laws, one of which is...
http://uscode.house.gov/uscode-cgi/fastweb.exe?getdoc+uscview+t17t20+842+76++%28Threaten%20president%29%20%20AND%20%28%2818%29%20ADJ%20USC%29%3ACITE%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) a person can never be in Canada TOO long
by JP Bill / September 5, 2005 4:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
You don't suppose
by JP Bill / September 5, 2005 4:27 AM PDT

The person making the statement about slapping the President also knew this,

The Secret Service takes them on a case by case basis in determining which get prosecuted and which are let off with "stern warnings".

I don';t think she will get a "visit" it would only put more fuel in the fire.

coulda, woulda, shoulda, but ain't gonna happen

Collapse -
Sorry, I didn't post the link...
by Edward ODaniel / September 5, 2005 12:56 AM PDT
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/9/4/101101.shtml

Like it says there, It is illegal to threaten the president with physical violence.

Bush will not allow her to be arrested (nor should he), but it does demonstrate the thoughtlessness of the never ending attacks from the left.

This paragraph also shows a bit of her hypocracy as it was said DURING her "photo OP: - "The president came here yesterday for a photo-op," Landrieu charged, while surveying the disaster scene via helicopter with "This Week" host George Stephanopoulos in tow. "He got his photo-op but we are never going to get this fixed if he does not send us help now."

Among all her blames and attacks she has conveniently forgotten that governments produce paperwork and some of that paperwork shows EXACTLY where the system "broke down" (or rather where it was simply ignored and blown off)
http://www.cityofno.com/portal.aspx?portal=46&tabid=26

Also as a noteworth note, she blames Bush for cutting levee improvement funding but doesn't acknowledge that the Federal Governemnt has spent over 700 MILLION on just that over the last four years in that neck of the woods.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Isn't it against the law to threaten anybody?
by JP Bill / September 5, 2005 4:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
New Orleans got Punk'd and Bush didn't even show up to gloat
by Ziks511 / September 5, 2005 12:59 AM PDT

at least not in New Orleans proper. Too dangerous? Too wet? Too smelly? Nahhh!! Too much like work.

Bush cut the budget of the New Orleans office of the Corps of Engineers by more than 40% in June 2005, just over 9 weeks ago. How clever of him.

Wanna blame somebody? The buck stops there, right on the vacant, vacationing, desk of that vacuous, vacuum-headed, Howdy Doody puppet of a President.

Rob

Collapse -
self description perhaps????
by Glenda / September 5, 2005 1:02 AM PDT

right on the vacant, vacationing, desk of that vacuous, vacuum-headed, Howdy Doody puppet of a President.

Try blaming the governor and mayor for not having better plans and implementing them in the first place! The Federal government is not the one responsible, But the State of LA is for not taking care of their own business! Do you never get tired of bashing Bush? Sheesh!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) what do we expect from rob?
by Mark5019 / September 5, 2005 1:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) moron
by duckman / September 5, 2005 1:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) dnr
by Mark5019 / September 5, 2005 1:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
Why wouldn't he cut it?
by TONI H / September 5, 2005 1:12 AM PDT

That city had 30 years with billions appropriated over that period of time to firm up/rebuild those levees and did NOTHING through various levels of local and state government. Nine weeks before Katrina NOBODY anticipated this...it isn't like Bush had a crystal ball and said "I don't like blacks so I'm going to let thousands die and use the money somewhere else" for crying out loud. Their own local and state representation didn't care enough about those people in over 30 years to do anything about making them safer.

Get off the Bush-bashing pulpit or call Sharpton/Jackson/Moore/Nagin/et al and offer your services as an 'out of country and out of your mind and the loop' supporter/preacher.

TONI

Collapse -
Oh yeah....
by TONI H / September 5, 2005 1:14 AM PDT

For your information, Bush WAS on the ground in NO...immediately after he was on the ground in MISS, or did you have your tv off while you were ranting without knowledge/facts?

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) he was to busy hugging a tree:)
by Mark5019 / September 5, 2005 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh yeah....
Collapse -
Shhhhhh
by Evie / September 5, 2005 1:31 AM PDT

Nobody tell Rob that the levee that let loose was one that HAD been recently upgraded Sad

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You hatred and ignorance are sickening
by Evie / September 5, 2005 1:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
700 million for levee improvement in las 4 years
by Edward ODaniel / September 5, 2005 1:47 AM PDT

Your inane spittle flecked comment is par for the course.

Collapse -
Leftists are so loyal to me. Unintentionally I know, but...
by David Evans / September 5, 2005 5:04 AM PDT

...still, they ALL work for me. They're incapable of NOT working for me, it's in their DNA, yuk yuk yuk!

This is beyond hilarious! I don't have to do a thing. I've sat back and watched them self-destruct over and over and over since 1994 and still it continues! I can't believe how EASY this is! Yuk yuk yuk!

DE

Collapse -
and your job Rob is.....
by Kiddpeat / September 5, 2005 3:07 AM PDT

perhaps you should stick to Canadian politics?

I certainly don't appreciate your empty headed rhetoric.

Collapse -
More insane hate speech
by EdH / September 5, 2005 3:17 AM PDT

Despicable and disgusting.

You gonna blame painkillers again?

Get a GRIP and GET SOME CLASS.

Or just GO AWAY!!!!

Collapse -
She should punch her Governor first....
by John Robie / September 5, 2005 2:17 AM PDT

better female to female than a man slaping a female. Next she needs to do a one two or 'sucker' punch on the N.O. Mayor for not even offering the 'poor' transportation using the city & school buses. Just issuing a declaration for mandatory evacuation then ignoring the poor without transportation is rediculous.

Re punching the Governor. On one of the Satellite news stations this morning they said the Louisiana Governor refused to sign a document to turn over the National Guard to the President. Now I understand why our USAF couldn't deliver water/food the first day, Monday. And no wonder people are saying we give better emergency help to overseas disasters...no incompetent Mayor or Governor. The US Coast Guard was immediately doing their job even before the wind died down..as they don't need a Mayor or Governor to give them any approval for anything. Totally unacceptable for anyone in these United States to be without water/food for 3-4+ days at any time.

Collapse -
The Governor should resign
by Evie / September 5, 2005 2:25 AM PDT

Since there's no more New Orleans for Nagin to govern, his paychecks should cease immediately!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
He's probably paid out of tax revenue anyway. I suspect NO
by Kiddpeat / September 5, 2005 3:15 AM PDT

isn't generating too much of that right now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?