Windows 8 forum

Question

Marking files as "complete" and appending to file names

by Slashtap / March 22, 2015 3:39 PM PDT

Hello, I have two questions.
1. My first question is how to mark individual items in this folder as "complete" for the purpose of sorting using the last column on the right.

Image here

This may be related: My windows is not letting me edit the details pane when I right click files and go to property>details. How can I fix this?

2. My second question is whether I can append a common suffix or prefix to multiple file names all at once. For instance, append the same prefix to the start of each file name (while keeping the rest of the file name intact), or append a suffix to the end of each file name (while keeping the rest of the file name intact).

I want the file names to all remain different, but each end/begin with the same word or letter.
Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Marking files as "complete" and appending to file names
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Marking files as "complete" and appending to file names
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You may wish to find a primer on file names and more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2015 4:15 PM PDT

Windows for decades used the file extension as a hint of the file type. If you change that, the association to the matching app is lost. This differs on say, Apple's File System.

So no, you can't change the last .pdf without losing what app it opens with.

At the same time the NTFS (what that is, is on the web) does not supply a "completed" file attribute so that column is non-standard. Your app or extension will define what that column does.

So for now, until you catch up on file names, just leave the file extension alone and rename the file as you see fit.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: File names
by Slashtap / March 23, 2015 4:13 AM PDT

I wish to append prefixes and suffixes en masse to file names only, not file extensions.

The "completed" attribute was one out of a very long list of columns windows allowed me to display or hide. If they are unusable, why does windows provide them?

But those nonstandard options aside, I could still work around this by editing "standard" options through the details pane..except I can't. Windows will let me view but not edit the details pane as I described in the OP. Help?

Collapse -
En mass.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2015 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: File names

There are hundreds of file renamers that can do that en mass. I'll consider that solved.

As to why Microsoft supplied a column is something you can ask them. My bet is some app supports that but we don't know what you have on your PC.

I'm left to guess you haven't read up on the NTFS (file system.) Here's the native file attributes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Attribute_lists.2C_attributes.2C_and_streams

But here's why no apps support this to very few. The moment this file is copied to say a common memory stick in say FAT32 those extended attributes are lost. So for now, few apps will bother with this extended NTFS attributes.

Since it's not in the basic NTFS attributes your apps and who wrote those apps will have to tell you more.
Bob

Collapse -
Re:
by Slashtap / March 23, 2015 8:44 AM PDT
In reply to: En mass.

Oh, didn't realize there was software for renaming. That was simpler than I thought it would be. Thanks.

For the details pane issue, this is what what I mean

Image 1
I right click those columns, go to More..., and it has hundreds of details to choose from. If I can't use "Complete," I don't mind using a standard one like "Tags," except...

Image 2
I can't edit these details. I vaguely remember being able to before, perhaps it was a different computer. I tried changing tags by opening the document and going through save as... but that didn't let me either. Any ideas?

Collapse -
Re: tags
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 23, 2015 9:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:

To change data shown by explorer for a mp3-file you need a mp3-tag- editor (or more, to change it from 128 to 96 kbps you need to re-encode it). To change data shown by explorer for a picture you need a picture editor.
So to change data shown by explorer for your (until now) unknown file types, you need an xxx editor. But what is xxx ?

Kees

Collapse -
Kees nailed it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2015 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?