Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Marianne, Keith, Bob et al

by jonah jones / November 14, 2003 12:57 PM PST

a couple of ideas to throw around for a while.....

Larry D made a couple of remarks about Bobs "anti parasite" thread and how he thought it was 'nonsense' http://reviews.cnet.com/5224-7598-0-1.html

so i thought......

maybe repost his (Bob) original post with a "check here for Specific info for parasite/adaware/spyware problems" header...

also make up a "check here for Specific info for anti-virus/trojan/worm problems" post as well.....

or possibly put them both in a like named post with links to the appropriate post/s....

jonah

*06:45, been awake since 03:15 and not too sure if this makes sense :-(.....*

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Marianne, Keith, Bob et al
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Marianne, Keith, Bob et al
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bob's 'anti-parasite' thread...
by Keith Marcotte / November 14, 2003 1:20 PM PST

is approaching the size (multiple pages) that requires a reorganization. I was thinking of calling it "FAQ" if we didn't stick with "Anti-Parasite Suite". Subthreads for spyware, antivirus, antitrojan, the current virus that everyone is having problems with,... I think that it was James that suggested a header above the posts that linked to a forum FAQ (but that would require a template change). Whatever we do, I would like to have something on the first page that indicates that we have a FAQ.

Collapse -
Bob's Anti-Parasite Thread
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 14, 2003 2:11 PM PST

I would suggest, to rewrite it and only put in the suggestions made in the thread -

How about that?

We still can't make a "sticky" - so we have to try to keep it on the first page - as the "bumps" are getting too long - we will have to rewrite it again and again.

Collapse -
Re: I would suggest, to rewrite it and only put in the suggestions made in the thread - How about that?
by jonah jones / November 14, 2003 2:34 PM PST

sounds good to me..

*suddenly lost his pen*

Collapse -
Re:Marianne, Keith, Bob et al
by William Randall / November 14, 2003 5:27 PM PST

Your link give me:

We're sorry, but the page you requested could not be found.

* If you got here by typing a URL, please make sure the spelling, capitalization, and punctuation are correct, then try reloading the page.

Collapse -
Re:sorry William ;( *wonder how that happened?*
by jonah jones / November 14, 2003 6:39 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Thanks jonah, I have that problem in email all the time with this "new and better" software. :(
by William Randall / November 15, 2003 6:35 AM PST

Collapse -
Bob responds.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2003 9:22 PM PST

The title is important since it conveys what the collection is. Nothing like a good title to get people to look inside and see if they want to follow the instructions.

As to it getting long, yes. A rewrite will happen, but this post is saving me a lot of time. It's much easier to reference it than to reply with the contents each time. A FAQ or a pinned thread would work too.

As to the "nonsense". Go find responses outside this thread where people write back "all fixed", "thank you" and such. If the post was nonsense, then it would sink into oblivion and people would be writing bad words.

My Dr. Phil payback on this post is the people who didn't have to pay a shop to reload their OS and those who have written a thank you note.

In closing, feel free to offer a similar solution set to the problem.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) I'll start putting it again together.........
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 14, 2003 11:45 PM PST
In reply to: Bob responds.

Collapse -
Pangalactic Gargle Blaster.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2003 12:19 AM PST

While one could end up with a very good tool list, a presentation rule I follow with great success is to limit any list to five items. There are at least a dozen good tools in each category of antivirus, web-based scans, spyware removal, spyware guards and more. Listing all 40 plus will have Joe and Jane running away without a solution set.

The Anti-Parasite Suite is as concise a set I could fit in the top five category and still wipe out 99.99% of what "tech" and I encounter. Any item that this set doesn't detect or remove is worthy of deeper inspection.

Another rule is that the set be fairly "safe." The stock settings in the selected five tools have not resulted in machines that no longer boot or exhibit worsened conditions. Follow the physician's creed and do no harm. (Except to the parasites.)

You don't have to follow such rules, but my experience in group presentations lead me to boiling it down to these simple principles.

1. Five items.
2. Simple to use.
3. Do no harm.
4. Title it for easy reference.
5. Offer more support if these don't fix the issue.

As you can see, the five tools I listed meet the criteria and while we can discuss if Panda on-line scanner is better than Trend's Housecall, you have to just pick one and not lose the moment over such.

Hijackthis is a great tool, but suffers in that the user can be overwhealmed in the information and may just delete all that is reported. It falls off the list as not safe enough for general consumption.

-> In closing, it would be nice to CopyLeft the phrase "Anti-Parasite Suite" before we see such a CD in stores near you.

-> Search http://www.google.com for "anti-parasite suite" and what do you find?

Bob

PS. Regarding the title. It has nothing to do with anything except the following:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy also mentions alcohol. Its says that the best drink in existence is the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster.

* It was invented by Zaphod Beeblebrox, although this is normally stated in another section (see page 97 of the actual Guide).
* The Guide says that the effect of drinking a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster is like having your brains smashed out with a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.
* The Guide also tells you:
o On which planets the best Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters are brewed,
o How much you can expect to pay for one,
o Which voluntary organizations exist to help you recover afterwards.
* The Guide even tells you how you can mix one yourself.

Collapse -
I like the five principles
by grandpaw7 / September 19, 2004 10:14 PM PDT

The proliferation of computer protection programs, particularly with their Madison Ave spin, can be perplexing; every time I turn around I see a way to computer heaven being touted. To a much lesser extent, that can also be true of too many suggestions in a thread like this. The problem makes me want to pick out one person and follow his/her advice. I think it is more helpful for a post to contain the poster's menu of suggested programs for computer protection rather than a suggestion as to how someone else's menu might be changed or an a la carte suggestion of a single program. And a debate among experts as to whether Trend or McAfee is better is not likely to help the foreigner to computer lingo. "Too many cooks in the kitchen". If they are each working on their own menu that is ok. The diner can choose whichever menu he wants. But if they start suggesting how they think someone else's menu could be changed, the diner is likely to suffer confusion.

Collapse -
Geez......... I can NOT put it in alltogether !!
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 15, 2003 12:25 AM PST

I have everything together in ONE thread - but I can NOT post it this way.

As soon as we think the "old thread" is getting "confusing" I will start with this:

Anti-Parasite Suite - READ ONLY -

Given that 99 out of 100 machines I see have parasites and that 1 out of 3 simply straighten up and fly straight when we eject the parasites, it would be nice if a single tool could incorporate all the following scans, tools and findings. Until then, here's a list of what I'm finding useful.

1. Adaware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
2. Spybot http://spybot.eon.net.au/index.php?lang=en&page=download
3. Housecall http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
4. CWshredder http://www.spychecker.com/program/cwshredder.html
5. Stinger http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

I would have included HijackThis, but that tool is truly something I can't hand out since many people don't or won't read the instructions. The above tools have been proving themselves very safe to use to eject what they find.

Another tool you suspect some startup program or want to curb a startup program is at http://www.webattack.com/get/starter.html

Bob

Posted by: R. Proffitt Posted on: 10/30/2003 7:05 AM

and then add piece by piece the "rest".

This way this "Anti Parasite Thread" will stay at least at the first page for quite a while ?

Collapse -
So far, the message marking is what a few are complaining about.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2003 4:43 AM PST

It's actually not uncommon for news threads to continue for over 100 exchanges, but this forum software is a pain.

So far, I've received good results over that post and people are fixing their machines.

Those that like tidy threads don't like such forum software. So we deal with it as best we can.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the "Heads Up" !
So far, I've received good results over that post and people are fixing their machines.

That was our goal !

Those that like tidy threads don't like such forum software. So we deal with it as best we can.

I agree Happy
Collapse -
LarryD did not say it was nonsense
by Tom Aikman / November 15, 2003 6:42 AM PST

"bumping" it every now and then was nonsense.

Collapse -
Re:LarryD did not say it was nonsense
by William Randall / November 15, 2003 6:51 AM PST

I think we all agree that the NEED to have to bump it is what is nonsense. We need the "sticky" capability and now.

William

Collapse -
Bob took jonahs post as....
by Tom Aikman / November 15, 2003 6:58 AM PST

....an insult to the "Anti-Parasite" post. The way he worded it in the original post made it sound this way. Read the original post.

Collapse -
Re:LarryD did not say it was nonsense. Sorry I was not clear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2003 7:59 AM PST

The forum software is not the best and I agree on all the points up to this reply.

-> Let's not lose sight of how many have found their solution by the Viruses and Security Alerts Forum.

Who would have thought using a PC would mean you get to eject the trash and run such heavy protection?

In closing, if I slighted any person in my posts, I immediately recant.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Jonah for bringing it up...
by John Robie / September 20, 2004 4:11 AM PDT

I'm just now reading this thread.

I had also thought about bringing up the subject of rewriting/republishing Bob's thread. It starts out with giving the URL's of Spyware and the one anti-virus (Housecalls). I have used Bob's thread as a reference to many people (& relatives) on getting free Spyware programs and free Anti-Virus programs. Gee, to get a list of those free Anti-Virus programs, you have to scroll down or ship to another post. Also, the URL on some of the references have changed.

I go along with the suggestion that one of the Virus and Security Alerts Moderators, Marianne, Donna, or Keith, rewrite Bob's post, and when they do, please list together all the URL's on Anti-Virus and Spybot for easy reference.

LarryD post titled: "Keith (IMHO) the bumping is nonsense"...bumping..not Bob's post being nonsense:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7598-0.html?forumID=51&threadID=2938&messageID=34763

Bob's post titled: "Anti-Parasite Suite"
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&messageID=15002

Collapse -
Oh my, I'm just now seeing that Grandpaw7
by John Robie / September 20, 2004 4:24 AM PDT

revived an old November thread. Happy

Anyway, good Grandpaw, Bob's thread needs be rewritten by one of Security forums Moderators just to correct the URL's for the latest, put Spyware and Anti-Virus reference URL close or together, and possibly cut down on the tremendous reading that entails 60+ posts.

Collapse -
I flight tested one version of a new suite and...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2004 4:33 AM PDT

And thinking over the responses.

Here's the deal. Today's pests have never been as widespread and while the selected suite still handles a good percentage of the pests, some content is needed to empower the owner to do more or where to seek help next. A prime example may be the ABOUT BLANK pest since it may have no automatic removal tool.

The response to the flight test was that some may end up offline so I'll try again soon.

My goal is to post a replacement at the one year mark.

I thank everyone that had helped fight the good fight and am happy if I saved a few from "reformatting my machine".

Bob

Collapse -
Re: I flight tested one version of a new suite and...
by John Robie / September 20, 2004 4:58 AM PDT

Thanks Bob, and I believe your "Anti-Parasite Suite"
thread along with following posts has saved a lot of peoples computers. But really, I think revision is past overdue to include my suggestions above. Why wait another month and 10 days with people also having to wade through 60+ posts.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i 2nd that! BOB, go for it.... ;-)
by jonah jones / September 20, 2004 6:32 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.