Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Marianna -- Ad-Aware 1 more question

by michhala / November 16, 2004 10:26 AM PST

Marianna -- I am configuring settings for 1.05 according to those you last posted on 11/01/04.

Under Tweak/Cleaning Engine: your instructions are to select "Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion". I do not have that option -- I have "Always try to unload modules before deletion". Selected also are "During Removal, unload explorer and IE if necessary", "Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot", and "Delete quarantined objects after restoring".

My thanks.

Miki

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Marianna -- Ad-Aware 1 more question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Marianna -- Ad-Aware 1 more question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Marianna -- Ad-Aware 1 more question
by roddy32 / November 16, 2004 10:38 AM PST

HI Miki,
I have the same options as what you do and I have those 4 all checked too including the one that you have "Always try to unload modules". I don't have the other one either, it might have been from an older version.

Collapse -
Re: Marianna -- Ad-Aware 1 more question
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 16, 2004 10:40 AM PST

Miki

I have "Always try to unload modules before deletion". Selected also are "During Removal, unload explorer and IE if necessary", "Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot", and "Delete quarantined objects after restoring".

Super ! Great job Wink

Collapse -
Miki
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 16, 2004 11:00 AM PST

I "think" Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion" is NOT in the FREE version - but the PAID ones.

Collapse -
Re: Miki
by roddy32 / November 16, 2004 11:35 AM PST
In reply to: Miki

That would explain why Miki and I don't have it LOL. I tweaked mine a little different once I was used to it and know more about it. I no longer auto quarantine anything and instead of manually quaranting anything, I just delete it now. All I ever have anymore is tracking cookies, which I would imagine will be less of now that I have SpywareBlaster too. A lot of it is personal preferences once you get used to something.
PS
I also have the Tweak SE add-on and my Interface is now named "Roddy" instead of Ad-Aware SE Grin

Collapse -
Something else, Marianna...and Roddy
by michhala / November 16, 2004 12:47 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Miki

The "Shell Integration" under Advanced does not want to stay there.

Does that happen on Roddy, Roddy? Happy

Miki

Collapse -
Re: Something else, Marianna...and Roddy
by roddy32 / November 16, 2004 1:08 PM PST

Not sure what you mean by "Stay there" Miki. On mine there are 2 options under "shell integration". The first one is for "Move deleleted files to the recycle bin". I have a red X it that one because when I delete them I want them deleted. The other option is for "add "scan with Ad-Aware" to Explorer" and that one is greyed out so I assume it s only for the paid version.

Collapse -
PS
by roddy32 / November 16, 2004 1:09 PM PST

If you mean that your setting won't stay, you have to hit "proceed" to lock your choice in.

Collapse -
Re: PS Roddy.
by michhala / November 16, 2004 2:35 PM PST
In reply to: PS

HI Roddy -- I did hit "Proceed" -- all other settings I worked with stayed selected with a check in the green circle. Miki

Collapse -
by michhala / November 16, 2004 2:30 PM PST

I'm sorry, Roddy -- I was not very clear.....but you have it right. The 1.05 Ad-Aware config instructions indicate under Shell Integration to select "Move deleted files to Recycle Bin". I select it and it is green with a check; the next time I look at it, it is red with the X. I guess it is not all that important a setting, but I would not mind having it.

Thanks for the information about your settings.

Miki

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 16, 2004 8:19 PM PST

You're welcome Miki and IF you quarantine things for a while before you delete them which I think you do, then that setting doesn't make any difference because once you DO decide to delete them from quarantine, it means that you don't need them anymore so going into the recycle bin would just make an extra click because you would have to delete them from there also. Did that make sense? It's 6:20AM here and I'm not really awake yet .LOL

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.