Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

mapping USB port addresses

XP pro SP 2. OK team. I have replaced the defective USB port and recabled the system this afternoon. Using the manual that came with the mobo (DFI lanparty)I made a careful list of what which peripheral was connected to each of the numbered ports (there are 10 available). Installing a couple of printers I discover that the port address does not match the list I made and the system appears to have made a virtual USB port (oh joy).
So, my question is how can I map the USB ports on the system to detect what number they are and what they think is attached to them?

It was simpler with LPT and COM ports.

Any help appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: mapping USB port addresses
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: mapping USB port addresses
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
USB doesn't work the same way

In reply to: mapping USB port addresses

USB doesn't really provide any means for doing this. All the addressing is handled internally by the controller. Which is why you could use a front USB port to install and configure a printer, then move it to a back port and not have to change a thing to get it working again. Unfortunately, if something goes wrong, this means the fun trial and error process to figure out which port it is.

Collapse -
Oh how I wish it were so

In reply to: USB doesn't work the same way

Yes, in theory I can use the front ports and the cable up to the back ports. Tried that. Spent a lot of time setting up the peripherals (2 scanners, 2 printers, ext drives etc) on the front ports. Then pulled it all apart, recabled to make it all tidy and bingo, a lot of the stuff failed and the system recognised a lot of new hardware and wanted to reinstall all the drivers. I did have a defective hub which I finally swapped out and replaced with a Linksys. Still, nowhere near as simple as I had wanted. When trying to install a printer directly, it wants to know the exact usb port and obviously it's not as easy. Oh well, I now know more about USB than I really wanted to.

Collapse -
mapping USB port addresses

In reply to: mapping USB port addresses

They automaically configure - remember,they're plug & play devices. You'll see that they're virtual ports, and as they are plug and play, they do not need mapping, your computer should do this for you.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!