Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Many folders on C drive named 'spuninst' dating back to2002

by dgunnard / October 15, 2009 6:02 AM PDT

(I hope I am provided enough information)
I have a Dell 4500S w/18.5GB hard drive. I have only 5.2 GB free.
It is running Windows XP Home Edition. I use IE 8.
Most the space, that i can see, used by Windows (disk space 4.62GB) and Program Files (838MB). I can not see where the rest of the usage is.
I see many folders in the 'spuninst'dating back to 2002.
An example: $NtUninstallQ324096$.
My questions: Are these needed? and when this 'spuninst' is updated, don't the previous files go way if these are updated since 2002?
I need to find more free disk space. This PC used run with 49% free until I installed three things-
AT&T dsl provider, Explorer 8 and anti- virus- didn't matter which one- I use Pareto Logic.
Thank you.
Diane

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DGG4HQ11
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Dimension 4500S
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~1700 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A01, 5/21/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name DGG4HQ11\Diane Gunnard
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.55 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.85 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Many folders on C drive named 'spuninst' dating back to2002
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Many folders on C drive named 'spuninst' dating back to2002
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: folders
by Kees Bakker / October 15, 2009 6:10 AM PDT

Yes, those $NTuninstall... folders are safe to delete. They are made by Windows update so you can easily undo an individual update if it turns out to be fatal for your system. But you won't want to undo a change from 2003. Turn on detail view and delete all that are older than 1 or 2 months.

Other tips to free disc space:
1. Disc cleanup (wizard).
2. Disc cleanup (wizard) advanced: delete all but the latest system restore points.
3. Download free ccleaner for cleanup of temp files and such
4. Download free treesize from http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=TreeSize+Free&searchtype=downloads to analyze the size of all folders and subfolders on your hard disk.

Don't delete anything if you're unsure if it can be done safely. Ask here for advice when in doubt.

Kees

Collapse -
Many folders on C drive named 'spuninst' dating back to2002
by dgunnard / October 15, 2009 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: folders

Thanks Kees- Which is the 2003 file I should not delete?
I have at least 3 every month for the year 2003.

Collapse -
Do you have any folders there younger than 2003?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 15, 2009 6:39 AM PDT

Those update folders should be added to every time you update Windows from Windows Update, and there have been scores of updates since 2003.

What is your newest update folder there?

What Kees meant was, don't delete the last two or three Windows Update backup folders, but the rest can be safely deleted.

Mark

Collapse -
updates back to 2002
by dgunnard / October 15, 2009 6:50 AM PDT

Mark,
The oldest updates are August of 2002. The 9 newest updates are from 10/15/2009, today.
(I downloaded the Free TreeSize program and can see all the file sizes. Thank you.)
Is the Disc Clean up (wizard) the same as the one priovided by Windows XP? I use it all the time, but I have not used the advanced mode for the latest system restore point that I know of.
Doane

Collapse -
As I am cleaning C drive I see 2 Explorers listed
by dgunnard / October 15, 2009 7:18 AM PDT

Mark and Kees
According to the advanced disc cleanup program, I am using MSN Explorer.
I thought it was called IE 8.0.6001
According to things I have read in CNET, they are not the same browser. I am confused.
Please explain, thank you.

Collapse -
Two replies.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 15, 2009 7:35 AM PDT

Your post about the "Updates back to 2002".

I would certainly keep the today's newest folders, and also back to a couple of months ago, but all the rest can be deleted.

There is always a proviso to these recommendations. This proviso is, "if your system is otherwise running well", meaning, if your system is running well, then you don't need all of those Windows Update backup folders.

Is Disk Cleanup the same as the one provided by XP? Yes.

Your other post about, "As I am cleaning C: drive I see 2 explorers listed"

What "Advanced Disk Cleanup Program is this? Do you mean the Disk Cleanup Utility, More options tab?

If you are using a registry cleaner or optimiser, I would ask that you don't. They can cause more problems than solutions.

As far as I am aware, MSN Explorer is not the same as IE, (Internet Explorer). Description of MSN Explorer.

Mark

Collapse -
yes- the more option disc cleanup utilities
by dgunnard / October 15, 2009 7:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Two replies.

Yes,MArk.
It is the more options in the Disc Clean up Utility.
The IE Explore shows 0 bytes, the MSN shows the 13MB on the clean up page.
I do not see MSN Explorer on my machine- only IE 8.
Any ideas?
I tried to send a print screen of the disc cleanup screen but this space will not take one.
Diane

Collapse -
FYI- I cleaned 237 folders of Windows updates - ~2GB
by dgunnard / October 15, 2009 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Two replies.

Mark and Kees,
Free space is now at 7.32 GB. I gained nearly 2GB. Thank you.
I think I can do that with other older updating files I found, but I will ask CNET first.
Diane

Collapse -
Excellent.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 15, 2009 8:22 PM PDT

That's a result, good work.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.