General discussion

Manure...An interesting fact

Manure: In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and large shipments of manure were common.

Shipped dry, because it weighed a less, once water (at sea) hit it, it not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, and a by-product is methane gas.

Stored below decks in bundles, it would get wet and methane began to build up below decks so when someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

After discovering the cause of ythe blow ups, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the term 'Ship High In Transit' on them, so the sailors stowed it high enough off the lower decks to keep water that came into the hold from touching this volatile cargo.

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Ship High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day..

You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Now, you still do not know the history of the word unless you are aware that it decends from O.E. scitan, from P.Gmc. *skit-, from PIE *skheid- "split, divide, separate." Related to shed (v.) on the notion of "separation" from the body (cf. L. excrementum, from excernere "to separate"). The noun is O.E. scitte "purging;" sense of "excrement" dates from 1585, from the verb.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Manure...An interesting fact
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Manure...An interesting fact
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Wooo!

What a load of "s.h.i.t." -----Willy Happy I could add more, but its more than I can handle.

- Collapse -
(NT) i recieved that email too
- Collapse -
Snopes says
http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/****.asp

Other four letter words have their own "creative" history as well....one being "File Under Carnal Knowledge " aka "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" as some sort of legal derivation of the popular expletive.

CNET Forums

Forum Info