Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Man Tax??

by Evie / October 6, 2004 10:04 PM PDT
'Man tax' to pay for abuse
of women?
Swedish lawmakers propose fee to pay societal cost of male violence

Swedish lawmakers have proposed a new tax on those who happen to be men that would go to paying the societal costs of abuse toward women.

"It must be clear to all we have a gigantic social problem and cost in men's violence toward, women and we must discuss how we are going to pay for it," Gudrun Schyman, the party's former leader, told the paper.

"We have to have a discussion so that men understand that they have a collective financial responsibility."

I find this totally absurd.

Evie Happy
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Man Tax??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Man Tax??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Man Tax??
by Catgic / October 6, 2004 10:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Man Tax??

Do they already have a "Honey-Do" Tax on women to pay for the "societal costs" of "Honey-Do" abuse towards men? Wink

Collapse -
I agree it's absurd, Evie.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 9, 2005 10:31 PM PDT

However, it would be a good idea to perhaps double the fines for domestic abuse crimes, with the differential to to women's shelters, etc. Of course, there are also some men routinely abused by women -- and they tend to get little help, sympathy, or understanding.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
look at the date
by EdH / October 9, 2005 10:33 PM PDT

See what patient2000 is doing?

Collapse -
Gees, and here I thought that
by dirtyrich / October 10, 2005 12:59 AM PDT

when a man married a woman he acquired the financial responsibility for the woman, and had to provide all her needs already since she's weak and helpless.
Funny how Women's Rights Nazis always proclaim that there is no difference between men and women and yet routinely ask for legislation that would burden men for women's sake.
Last spring NOW started a massive protest against the Promise Keepers, and from the comments I heard NOW's point was that any group made solely of men was chauvinistic and sexist.

Collapse -
Of course any group composed solely of women is enlightened
by Kiddpeat / October 10, 2005 2:57 AM PDT

and a force for good.

Collapse -
What will they do with transsexuals? Will cross dressers
by Kiddpeat / October 10, 2005 2:54 AM PDT

escape the tax? There must be a creative tax strategy somewhere. I guess a lot of Americans just are not sufficiently well rounded to 'get it'.

Wink

Collapse -
Totally absurd...
by Edward ODaniel / October 10, 2005 7:14 AM PDT

and thus it won't be long before Kerry, Kennedy, Dean, et al attempt to tack something like it onto any handy piece of legislation.

I wonder why no one considered taxing children--they are what grow up into abused and abuser (although the greatest percentage are not and never become either).

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Those Sweeds! LOL
by lylesg / October 10, 2005 8:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
Well, you know, the "in" thing among lawmakers
by dirtyrich / October 10, 2005 10:10 AM PDT

is to emulate the fashionable Europeans. Much of our fashion is determined by the Euros, and recently it has become cool to borrow their laws too. Can't wait for something like this to hit the shore.

Collapse -
Sex Tax Next?
by James Denison / October 10, 2005 1:41 PM PDT

For all those guys who think they've been deprived from enough by women over the years? It's amazing the levels stupidity can sink to.

Collapse -
Isn't it interesting --
by Evie / October 10, 2005 7:58 PM PDT

-- I posted this almost a year ago and got little response. Some forum urchin exhumes a bunch of old threads and this comes to life! Wink

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Sure is but...
by Edward ODaniel / October 11, 2005 3:42 AM PDT

after seeing DK respond to it some of us couldn't resist even after noting your response to him.

Devil

Collapse -
Some topics are timeless.
by Kiddpeat / October 11, 2005 3:44 AM PDT

Any idea what happened in Sweden?

Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?