Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Man called to jury duty; can he be impartial?

by Paul C / February 18, 2005 4:48 AM PST

Actually, that question is moot, since he won't be showing up: Murder victim called for jury duty on his alleged killer's trial:

A Delaware County man who prosecutors say was killed by his father-in-law was called for jury duty in his alleged killer's murder trial.

A court clerk says Scott Borton's name was listed in the jury pool for the first-degree murder trial of Roger Lee Lawrence. Jury pools are taken from a list of people with drivers licenses and court officials say Borton's name was drawn at random.

I think they'd better get a little less random in the future...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Man called to jury duty; can he be impartial?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Man called to jury duty; can he be impartial?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unless things have changed......
by Josh K / February 18, 2005 4:55 AM PST

....in New York since the last time I served, when you got called for Jury Duty you weren't in the pool for any specific trial. You just went into a general jury pool and would then (perhaps) be called on to be a potential juror for a trial. If you got rejected twice, you were released. So in this case, once the victim failed to show up for jury duty, there would have been no chance of this happening.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It was probably a mistake.
by Dan McC / February 18, 2005 5:10 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Now that would be [u][b]Justice!!![/b][/u]
by caktus / February 18, 2005 10:10 AM PST
Collapse -
Wrong county
by Steven Haninger / February 18, 2005 11:53 AM PST

Delaware County, no... Cook County (Illinois), could happen.

Collapse -
What a perfect story !! You can't make stuff like this up
by Ziks511 / February 18, 2005 5:01 PM PST

cause nobody would believe it long enough to laugh.

Rob

Collapse -
In this country,
by Jerry562 / February 18, 2005 8:47 PM PST

Juries have proven to be less than worth while. All the countries we modeled our system on, have given up on juries because they are STUPID. I'm looking forward to dumping the likes of OJ's jury, the morons on the Menendez trial including the foreman (woman), and soon to add Michael Jackson's trial and ...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?