Question

Malwarebytes Won't Run

Hello!

I seem to have gotten some sort of search engine redirection virus. To remedy this I DL malwarebytes but it will not allow it to run. I know that one of the first things is to attempt to rename the mbam.exe file to another name but when I try to do this it says 'you need permission to perform this action'

Any thoughts? This virus is driving me insane! Any help would be greatly appreciated... I just purchased the malwarebytes (not the trial version) and now I can't even run it Sad

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Malwarebytes Won't Run
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Malwarebytes Won't Run
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
RE:

Search engine redirects are often (but not always) symptomatic of a deeper rootkit infection. If you have one of these, MBAM can't clean it anyway. But thats a bridge to cross if or when you come to it. For now 2 options. You could try to get it to run in safe mode. Or you could try this first to free up MBAM>>http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/rkill

- Collapse -
Not sure...

I have tried to run it in safe mode - no dice.

I am operating on Windows 7. A relatively new laptop that has practically nothing on it but I don't have the CDs to re-install the operating system.

The redirection virus sends me to 'excellentsearchserver.com' and then redirects me from there. I am not operating from a proxy server, have checked that.

I will check out rkill.

- Collapse -
FAST. DO THIS NOW.

Many of those allow us to create restore media or restore from a special boot partition.

Your post is like many who don't want to create those media and find out later how expensive it can be when we opt out.

NOW SUPPLY THE MAKE AND MODEL SO WE CAN SEE HOW TO RESTORE THE MACHINE as well as create those restore DVDs.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
More information would help..

Missc..

In addition to gargamel's observations and sound advice, it sure would help to know which operating system you're running. Providing more details about the "search engine re-directs" would also help.

The download link s/he provided to 'free up MBAM', is for the Rkill Tool. Note the link at the bottom of the page, where it says (in part), "A brief introduction to the program". It provides the instructions to run the Rkill tool successfully.

The more information.. the better.
Carol

CNET Forums