Windows 7 forum

Question

Malwarebytes and safe mode

I just have a quick question concerning Malwarebytes. I have one friend that says that you should run Malwarebytes in safe mode and another one who says you don't have to. I'm just wondering what the correct answer is. Thank you in advance for your answers.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Malwarebytes and safe mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Malwarebytes and safe mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Both

In reply to: Malwarebytes and safe mode

Both are right, it depends on the circumstances. MOST of the time it can root out any pests without needing to resort to Safe Mode, but sometimes a pest buries itself so deep into the OS that Safe Mode is your only real hope of excising it short of formatting.

Of course I would argue that the better question to be asking here, is what are you doing that is making malware such an issue. Then the follow-up question of what can you do to eliminate this particular threat to your system's security. If you have to rely on the likes of malwarebytes to routinely clean your system of pests, then that should tell you there is something wrong. Would you simply accept the idea of someone breaking into your house regularly, maybe taking over your living room while you're asleep, and you kick them out in the morning just to have the cycle repeat again the following night? I highly doubt you would, so why you allow the same basic thing to happen with your computer is one of those things that baffles me about most people.

Collapse -
Answer
Malwarebytes and safe mode

Hi,
My name is Abhi and I work for Social media and Community at Dell.
I just went through your query. You can run Malwarebytes in any mode but; I recommend you do it in safe mode because the computer is working with bare basic drivers and services; normally if there is any bug in the system it will not be active in safe mode which makes the infections easier to remove. In normal mode the virus/bug would be active; So Malwarebytes will not be able to remove all the bugs.

Regards
Abhi
Dell | Social Media Outreach Responder

Collapse -
Answer
From the Anti malwarebytes forums administrator

it doesn't have to be run in Safe mode unless it won't run in normal mode. What that means if something at startup disables it then you can try it in Safe mode but it's designed to run in normal mode. I think thats even true with most antivirus software and that is why you are asked to restart your system to completely remove the virus.

Collapse -
2 months late but.. you are quite correct about MBAM!

In reply to: From the Anti malwarebytes forums administrator

Two months late but I thought I'd add.. you are quite correct! It was not designed to run in Safe Mode. Not many are aware of it.

In fact, " MBAM loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode because the program includes a special driver which does not work in safe mode. Further, scanning in safe mode prevents some types of malware from running so it may be missed during the detection process. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM but sometimes there is no alternative but to do a safe mode scan."

My ¢ ¢ ........ 2 months late. Happy
Carol

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.