Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Malware Returns almost all searches 'Failed to Connect!'

by wolfagain / November 25, 2008 1:46 AM PST

Problem started 3 days ago, I think, when a 'bad guy' pop-up tried to install their own(bogus I'm sure)malware security system on my pc. I sometimes get 'Monster Market' or other bogus ad sites. Bookmarked sites work as do some of the bigger sites(amazon) and this site. Tried the links to download 'malwarebytes anti-malware' but always get 'failed to connect.' Tried the 'restore pc back to another date' option and it won't work. Using XP system with Firefox2 browser. Also changed from AVG to Anvir. Help please.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Malware Returns almost all searches 'Failed to Connect!'
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Malware Returns almost all searches 'Failed to Connect!'
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try to download to a NOT infected computer......
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 25, 2008 2:28 AM PST

like a friend's computer and burn it to a CD or USB stick ?

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link

After download, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else.

SuperAntispyware Manual Updater

Does that work?

Collapse -
Sorry Marianna...
by Larry38 / November 25, 2008 2:35 AM PST

We must have been typing at the same time. You are just faster.

Collapse -
by wolfagain / November 25, 2008 3:00 AM PST

Thanks for your reply. Not really possible, none available near my home and it's probably beyond my expertise to follow your suggestion. Option #1 for me is to restore pc to a time before infection. Is it possible to restore computer in safe mode? After further research I'm fairly sure this is the 'antivirus2009' that is messing up my pc. Could this malware prevent me from the help option 'restore pc back to another date?' This seems to me to be the easiest way to fix the problem.

Collapse -
..Safe Mode.....
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 25, 2008 3:31 AM PST
In reply to: reply
Is it possible to restore computer in safe mode?

Yes, you can restore your computer in safe mode by usinf the F8 key

If you indeed have "antivirus 2009" I doubt, system restore will work Sad

Are you able to download HJT?

HiJackThis log - Trend Micro HijackThis 2.0.2

to download HJTInstall.exe go here: http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/threat_analytics/HJTInstall.exe

* Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
* Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
* By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
* Click on Install.
* It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
* Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
* Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
* Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" and Paste the entire contents of the log (no attachments) into your (Click --> ) own new topic

* DO NOT use the AnalyseThis button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
* DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what HJT lists will be harmless or even required by your Operating System, a helper will guide you.

Note: In notepad under Format, uncheck "Word Wrap" Produce all HJT logs like this, single spaced.
single-spaced - (of type or print) not having a blank space between lines.

Then post your HJT log on ONE of the HJT forums:

Here's a list of reputable HJT forums:

Collapse -
Try this....
by Larry38 / November 25, 2008 2:32 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?