General discussion

Malware problem

I have a Compaq Presario using Windows XP-A week ago I got a windows XP Security Alert! I could not get rid of this so I paid and downloaded the fix from(Browsing-solutions.com)I have been having problems opening even my desk top icons,etc.I can't even get Accessories to work such as Clean disk and regular maintenance,including My Anti-virus AVG. I purchased Malwarebytes and have tried several times to download but I keep getting page asking me what I want to open it with but see nothing that really applies.I have also done the trusted sites and had no success. Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Malware problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Malware problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: Malware problem
- Collapse -
malware problem

Thanks I will let you know, thanks

- Collapse -
problem

I still can not get a complete download it goe to file page and wants to know what file to open with and my control panel is telling me no application?

- Collapse -
Re: problem
- Collapse -
Safe mode

Try doing it from SAFE MODE.

- Collapse -
Most Need To Do The Downloads On A Separate Computer

The malware is probably preventing you from downloading removal software onto your computer. So follow the previous instructions from BleepingComputer but perform the downloads on a separate, clean computer, copy the files to a CD or flash drive, then transfer them to the problem machine.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
malware

it was causing not being able to download as well as me not being able to open any control panel options.SpeedyPC was recomended and I am back up. I do thank all who helped and will keep post if anything reoccurs. thanks

- Collapse -
See This Similar Discussion For Further Hints

CNET Forums