Download.com Site Feedback forum

Rant

Malware in Cnet Installer

by Not-My-Problem / February 23, 2014 6:56 AM PST

I usually go here for my software. It's safe, reliable, and also very informative-used to be. I cannot tell you how many times you have placed malware onto my computer, even though I declined every "Special offer". Why do you have to put this kind of stuff in your installer? It's pointless, dumb, and to add insult to injury, you have to actually go through ANOTHER installer to install the software, since your supposed "installer" only downloads it! Why can't you give us the original installer? I'm sure that you're going to say, "Oh. Well, everyone uses ad blockers, so we need to put this crap in the downloader to earn revenue to compensate for the loss in advertising."

First of all, can you at least place a message on the site telling people to disable their ad blockers? Seriously! Tell them why they have to disable their ad blockers, how you can take the adware out of your installers if they disable it, etc.

Second of all, STOP USING CRIMINALS to serve us advertisements! I have clicked on Download advertisements a million times on here, so either switch advertisers, or add a indicator above an advertisement! Sheesh! Malware ads are the main reason people HAVE ad blockers!

If you're going to place offers in your installers, at least have the dignity to place GOOD offers in there. Seriously, who would want Ask Toolbar, Babylon Toolbar, or any other of that trash? Putting malware in there just violates your malware-free guarantee. My GOD.

Thanks for reading.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Malware in Cnet Installer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Malware in Cnet Installer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thank you for your feedback.
by CNETSupport / February 24, 2014 1:51 AM PST

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience here, and we have shared your comments with the appropriate site managers.

All products on Download.com are downloaded, installed, and scanned for viruses and malware before being published in our library.

Many software titles on our site do use the Download.com Installer, which securely delivers software from Download.com's servers to your computer. During this process, the Download.com Installer also shows offers for additional, free applications provided by our partners. Some individual software publishers include such offers in their own installers too.

All offers, whether included in the Download.com Installer or in individual publishers' installers, must conform with our security policies prohibiting malware, and must also provide a working method to decline or opt-out of them during the download. You are never required to accept any offers in order to complete a download.

Although you cannot avoid using a software publisher's own installer when downloading their program, if you prefer not to use the Download.com Installer, you can simply click the Direct Download Link that is provided on all Installer Enabled product pages.

Read more about that option here:

http://t.cnet.com/1hjhgMb

For more detailed information on the Download.com Installer, please visit the following resource:

http://t.cnet.com/1dSQYi4

If you need any further assistance, or would like us to re-test a particular download at any time, please contact us by filling out the form on the following page:

http://t.cnet.com/PS6r5c

If you would like us to re-test a download, please be sure to include these details in the "Description" section of the form:

* The link to the Download.com page for the specific software you downloaded
* What operating system you are running
* What browser and which version you used to download
* What country you were located in at the time
* What antivirus software you have installed, if any
* The name(s) of any detections you saw, and/or the name(s) of any additional program(s) that were installed

Regards,
Jen
Download.com Support

Collapse -
What a lie.
by Not-My-Problem / February 24, 2014 5:15 AM PST
"All offers, whether included in the Download.com Installer or in individual publishers' installers, must conform with our security policies prohibiting malware, and must also provide a working method to decline or opt-out of them during the download. You are never required to accept any offers in order to complete a download."

Yes, I am sure that every offer in your software is safe and has passed your security policies. Let me guess what your security policy is. "All of our stuff is scanned for malware except for the offers in our installers that we receive revenue from." As far as I know, Babylon, AVG Secure search, Ask Toolbar, and the other crapware in your Secure-You mean insecure Installer-You mean downloader is malware which is detected by multiple antivirus engines.

You are telling me that your offers are not malware?
1. I won't believe you until you install your offers onto your own computers.
2. Tell me that your offers are not malware after you have installed them onto your computer.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!