General discussion

Malware and ping

Ok i have a couple of questions to ask and appologise if in wrong forum!

I use AVG anti virus on my pc and spybot for spyware. As far as i am aware both do there jobs well and not had any problems yet, though this could be luck and a good knowledege on what kind of sites usually infect. What i wanted to ask was does sypbot also detect malware and phishing infections? if not does anyone know a good software (preferably free) that i can use? Never being hit with walware or phishing infections (that i know of) to date i dont know if what i run is protecting against such things.

Also i wanted to test my connections by pinging my modem. whats is the easiest way to do this?

Thanks
Steve

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Malware and ping
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Malware and ping
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
thepom

Try this LINK for a list of various programs.

Regarding pinging:Open cmd prompt>ipconfig>enter

Tom

- Collapse -
in answer to your question...

No. Spybot focuses on adware and spyware.

The good news is, there is a free tool that has just what you're looking for. It's called AVG Anti-Spyware. Grisoft, the same people who make the antivirus you're using now, acquired a product called Ewido several months back, a product that actually began life as a malware/Trojan scanner.

Back in 2004, when it was known for this function, it was the most reliable out of three products (Ewido, TDS-3, and TrojanHunter) at removing a process-injecting Trojan without causing a system crash. And as of the most recent test by Andreas Clementi's AV-Comparatives (AT-Comparatives, in this case), it was the only scanner that detected more than 50% of used samples in an on-demand scan.

You can download a free copy here: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5

Note: The free version does not have automatic updates or resident protection. It's just a scanner.

CNET Forums

Forum Info