Resolved Question

Malware

How do I make an official report on a Chinese company that is running serious malware from Download.com. I did a review but they then changed the name of their software., I've spent a lot of time tracking down all their aliases and the effects of the trojan that they install with all of their software. I just want to get it right as this is taking up an awful lot of my time. Thank you.

Discussion is locked

HeavenlyBeverley has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Malware
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Malware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We have forwarded your comments here, and your WebMinds product reviews, to the Download.com Product Management Team so they may investigate the issues you reported. They manage our product database and will verify that the company and product information is accurate and everything meet our standards of quality.

We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused in the meantime.

In future, please feel free to contact our support team directly by filling out the form on the following page:

http://t.cnet.com/PS6r5c

Regards,
Jen
Download.com Support

- Collapse -
Thank you

However, I have taken stronger action. It's regrettable that Download.com are seemingly uninterested. Other sites have removed them almost immediately after just checking out a few of the links I have provided. Especially when there are users who were questioning why you would host Malware almost three years ago.

I am making a detailed account of my experiences which I will be posting on various blogs and high profile sites and I'm sorry to say Download.com does not come out of it looking like a reputable website that would not wish their users to have infected machines. To be honest you have more variations of their company name than any other site, all of which you have enabled and are seemingly reluctant to address this issue.

- Collapse -
Answer
I have alerted management about your post,

they will get back with you shortly.

P

- Collapse -
Thank you

I really appreciate that and thank you. I'm contacting everyone who is hosting their stuff. I can see it must be convincing. Well, I was convinced. Dig a little deeper. Unbelievable web of lies, using other people's names etc.

This sort of thing just really makes me cross.

Thank you

- Collapse -
Answer
Interesting, HeavenlyBeverley

I found it interesting that Download.com offers 11programs published by WebMinds alone. As you found out there are other names involved.

As far as I'm concerned, the amount of downloads offered shouldn't (and doesn't) reflect the developers integrity. Or lack there of in this case. But I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I didn't have the time to spend on it, but I will say I'm far from surprised.

Despite the fact UltraClipboard Professional Edition has 17 reviews ("comments") written as far back as 2007, I'm convinced many were written by the same group of people. It wouldn't be the first time. When the Download.com Team investigates the issue, they shouldn't have a problem matching IP's.

I was surprised to see Web of Trust (WOT) only had 3 reviews. All were negative, but I would have expected a lot more. Confused One of the 3 is a frequent poster. He included a link to the BBB, where 20 complaints were registered. Again.. I'm surprised there weren't more.

I do have a question or two. Did you download the "Duplicate File Cleaner" (by Qinetworking) from Download.com? The reason I ask. I've seen a DuplicateFileCleaner.lie file (in the System32 folder) before. It wasn't the software which caused the problem, but the Download.com installer. Are you sure it wasn't your case too?

I'm in NO way questioning any of the information you found. In fact, I know very little of what you found. No matter the outcome, I applaud you for your efforts and time spent. And most of all for .. "doing the right thing" by reporting it.

Carol

- Collapse -
It's Complicated

Yes, it's extremely complicated and manages to obfuscate the facts from anyone who is either not internet/PC savvy or someone who just doesn't have the hours to work it all out. However, some basics are that they operate also under Qiwang Computer. It's quite easy to see what sort of thing their software does by reading the reviews on http://download.cnet.com/Registry-Easy/3000-2094_4-11099035.html such as

"registryeasy.com Its infected"

"Host site contains spyware.. Rogue is plausible"
(this review was left in 2010 and confirms my statement that they have done their utmost to make it believable.

"Has anyone taked notice as to where company is located?" This user took the time to dig a little deeper.

<div>They have adopted the name Webminds.com in order to confuse with the genuine Webmind.Inc

http://www.zoominfo.com/s/#!search/profile/company?companyId=156745736&targetid=profile and have effectively pushed them on to the third page of a Google search by constant spamming and backlinking. Most people would be fooled by the similarity in name. Whilst it's not a crime to have a domain slightly different I wonder why they put the leader on their Google search as Webmind.Inc although it leads to Webmind.com. Furthermore they have registered the domain in the name of a fairly high profile IT CEO (Pierre Narath) who, naturally, checks out as legitimate. But the website is nothing to do with him. http://www.betterwhois.com/bwhois.cgi?verification=8888&domain=webminds.com&submitbtn=Continue Obviously they chose this poor guy as he is located in Fort Myers. There is such a huge web of confusion; they must have a team working on it.</div>
Yes, it installs very bad malware. I'm an A+ Comptia Technician and I've installed a couple of their programs to test using various tools. Elusive, but the evidence is all there.

<div>Hope that helps. I've managed to get them removed from two other high profile downloading sites and will continue to endeavour to wipe their nasty malware and bad practices from the internet.

Here is a thread in which there are 20 complaints about them which they do their best to wriggle out of http://www.bbb.org/west-florida/business-reviews/software-developers/webminds-in-fort-myers-fl-90087401/complaints
</div>
Hope that helps your team to speed up investigating these people. Every day that this is delayed a couple of hundred more people are infected.

- Collapse -
Oh Wow

I've just realised you mention Qinetworking. I reported them under Webminds and QiWange Computer so that's a new one then. One that even I hadn't discovered. This just gets worse and I'm sure they depend on people just being mind-boggled and giving up. If you notice that when I first reviewed their Easy Duplicate File Finder a few days ago they changed the name of the software overnight to Easy Duplicate Finder http://download.cnet.com/Easy-Duplicate-Finder/3000-2248_4-13318962.html. I'm sure you can verify that they did this with your servers. Why would a legitimate company do this.

But well done on the Qinetworking discovery. So why have they got three different companies on Download ?

CNET Forums

Forum Info