Desktops forum

General discussion

Malfunctioning nic???

by hollyfurby / May 24, 2007 1:24 PM PDT

I have Charter internet and I have been losing internet connectivity so I decided to go with Bellsouth DSL thinking it was Charters problem. Well when I was ordering Bellsouth DSL online they have a tool to see if your computer meets the requirements. My computer passed everything except networking. I got this message (malfunctioning nic found.) What does this mean? Is this why I am having internet trouble? It is a Gateway computer running windows xp service pack 2. The computer is about 2 years old.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Malfunctioning nic???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Malfunctioning nic???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since a NIC is only a few bucks why ask?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2007 9:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Malfunctioning nic???
Collapse -
Why not replace
by Willy / May 25, 2007 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Malfunctioning nic???

I like to add to what Robert mentioned, if you have a build-in nic, buy a nic card then install it. Just disable the build-in nic before so. It's easier to replace and as it was called a bad unit, it pretty much suggests what problem you had before as that's your link to the outside world. Rerun the test after the install and check results.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
HELP!
by hollyfurby / May 27, 2007 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Why not replace

The technician said in order to replace the nic the motherboard has to be replaced! They told me to back up anything I don't want to lose and they said I will most likely have to reinstall the operating system. How do I do all of this? They are coming Tuesday and I can't figure out how to backup anything! As for reinstalling the operating system, are they talking about the recovery disks you make when you first run your new computer? That is all I have, recovery disks.

Collapse -
P.S.
by hollyfurby / May 27, 2007 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: HELP!

I have a Gateway 5310s

Collapse -
Bad tech. Don't go back there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2007 3:12 AM PDT

For the 4 dollar fix you get into the BIOS, disable the onboard NIC, install the new NIC and drivers.

No one I know replaces a motherboard due to a bad NIC.

Bob

Collapse -
I like this link better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2007 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Seeing is believing
Collapse -
I like your link better, too!
by linkit / May 27, 2007 5:11 AM PDT

I thought I was posting a link with the lowest price listed first, but now I realize that my browser cookie was determining that and not the search criteria I used. Thanks, Bob!

Inexpensive and a relatively easy install. Hard to beat that fix.

Collapse -
Tech seems way off
by Willy / May 28, 2007 3:24 PM PDT

I know this is a late reply, but needed to as for the "tech response" you got. Unless, there's some magical nic involved(i don't think so), that tech is way off on replacing nic via the mtrbd.. In most cases you can disable the onboard nic, install a new nic and go from there.

As for recovery or any back-up it just worth the money to buy a decent back-up s/w and proceed to do so. Visit any local or online vendor and buy one. Good s/w will back-up to just about any media, like CD, DVD, tape, and/or other HD or NAS drive(if applicable). The recovery itself usually refers to the OS re-install disks, sometimes called restore disks.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?