Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Mal/ObfJS-CM malware HELP!!!

by NinaBFrank / July 4, 2010 5:27 PM PDT

I have recently been attacked by a virus/malware program that masks itself as an antivirus program through windows called "Antivirus 7." It's detected by Webroot's Spysweeper & Antivirus which I have installed, but only through the cookies it creates and occasionally finds the trojan titled "Mal/ObfJS-CM." It seems to continue to replicate itself, despite attempts to delete any files that have that name on my system. It seems to attack the Win32 system files every time the computer is on, causing an eventual crash in the system (surprised it hasn't done it yet this session!) On top of that, using Google or any other search engine is almost futile as any link you might click will most likely re-route you to a completely different, ad-infested website. Any advice on this one? Webroot's Spysweeper isn't cutting it and I just downloaded Microsoft's Security Essentials to see if that will do the trick...

thoughts???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mal/ObfJS-CM malware HELP!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mal/ObfJS-CM malware HELP!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use Rkill and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
by Donna Buenaventura / July 4, 2010 5:59 PM PDT
Collapse -
bleeping computer site
by NinaBFrank / July 5, 2010 5:00 PM PDT

Thanks. I had actually already checked out the bleepingcomputer site and tried those things out-- seemed to help in the moment, but only began to mop up the surface of the mess.I keep getting error codes that read either "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services needs to close" or "the instruction of 0x001a3ae7 referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be "read." Ok to terminate. Cancel to Debug."
I'm at the point where I'm reading a thorough computer manual to fix this beast...any other suggestions???

Collapse -
The said malware is causing those error message
by Donna Buenaventura / July 6, 2010 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: bleeping computer site
Collapse -
THANKS!
by NinaBFrank / July 10, 2010 4:27 PM PDT

Appreciate all the help. Finally seem to have gotten rid of the damn thing...wow it left sooo many traces (many seemingly invisible) behind! Thanks to your advice and help from my Antivirus' technical support team (webroot spysweeper with antivirus), I was able to kill it and sweep up the mess behind it.

THANKS!!!

Collapse -
(NT) Good work, Nina!
by Donna Buenaventura / July 12, 2010 3:58 PM PDT
In reply to: THANKS!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.