General discussion

Making XP auto-login, then go to switch user screen.

Hey guys, first time poster, long time reader (did that sound as cheesy too you as it did to me...) anyways, I currently have XP make me password login when I turn it on, but I'm just wondering, is there a way to have it automatically log me in, then go to the switch user screen? I ask this because it usually takes mine a while to load up to the logon screen, but then I have to go back and login before it works properly, so yeah, I'd just like to get it to log me in, load up, then got to the switch user screen so that I can go watch TV for half an hour, come back, and be ready to go. Anyways, yeah. Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Making XP auto-login, then go to switch user screen.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Making XP auto-login, then go to switch user screen.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Possibly

However, I think once you activate the fast user switching, it stops loading anything on the currently active profile.

Also, it seems to me that the far better solution is to figure out what is wrong with your current profile that it takes so long to load. Unless you're running XP on a 486 with 64MB of RAM or something, that's a very abnormally long login time.

- Collapse -
No, not really

Well, I'm running a 1.4 GHZ Athlon, wit 512 RAM, so yeah, not the problem, but yeah, I just reformatted my HD, and it's fine right now, but it's gonna get slow again, I KNOW it, so, yeah, thanks for the reply. Is there a way to modify the shutdown command so that when I click a certain restart button(desktop shortcut) then it automatically logs me in? so if I use the regular shutdown/restart it'll open the logon prompt, while if I click the shortcut, it'll skip it?

- Collapse -
If it is fast starting now,

then the best way to handle this is to keep it fast.

That means keep your PC security uptodate with a firewall, an anti-virus and a couple of anti-spyware scanners, and don't forget those windows updates. Also I would ditch IE except for any windows updates, stop using Outlook or Outlook Express for emails, and move to a more secure browser and email client like Firefox and Thunderbird, or similar.

Then I would try and keep the startup files down to a minimum. Whenever you install software, look out for any options that says it wants to load on startup, etc. Avoid applications like Real Player that spawn startup options all over the system. Anything that is not needed immediately on startup, (firewalls, anti-virus, anti-spyware are needed), justs wastes time loading when they can be accessed whenever needed. Keep your System Tray, (the one where the clock is), as free of icons as possible.

Do regular housekeeping, like removing temporary or other unwanted files. The link below has a number of useful tips for keeping your system working well;
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6121_102-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=22053&messageID=238454

Mark

- Collapse -
So keep it that way

It's not very difficult to keep a system performing well if you just follow a few simple steps. Some of it will be overlap from what Mark said, but repetition is part of how we learn, so...

Probably the single most important thing, is NOT to use Internet Explorer or anything based on Internet Explorer. There is a lone exception to this, and it's for downloading security patches via Windows Updates. It doesn't matter if you decide to use Mozilla Firefox, Opera, or Seamonkey, but pick one of those three and stick to it.

Next up, is making sure you keep on top of new security updates Microsoft releases. They tend to be released every second tuesday of the month, so be sure to check sometime around then for new updates and install all of them. Again, this is the ONLY valid use of Internet Explorer. Under no circumstances should you ever visit any other site with Internet Explorer.

Third, make sure you have some kind of firewall running. XP's firewall works if you're cheap and lazy. If you ask me, ZoneAlarm and the others like it offer no significant additional security, and suck down considerably more resources. Router based firewalls are good too. The primary function of this is to keep out automated bot probes looking to exploit unpatched Windows systems.

Fourth, don't install any file sharing or P2P software. If the client software doesn't come with some kind of malware, almost everything you download on the service will be infested with a virus or malware. Plus, the majority of the content on those networks is illegal, so save yourself some money and just buy whatever it is you might be downloading. It's cheaper than a lawyer to defend you, guaranteed.

Fifth, along with item four, don't use pirated software. There's no telling what kinds of hidden payloads might be included. If you look hard enough, you should be able to find a good free alternative to almost every program you could ever want to use. They may not be perfect of have a 1:1 ratio of features, but they're free and legal, and almost always malware free, though that's not always a certainty.

Sixth, make sure you have some kind of anti-virus program installed, and be very paranoid about things you download. Even if from a trusted source, like say Cnet's Download.com, scan EVERYTHING before you open it. If you get an attachment in an email you weren't expecting, delete it no matter who it's from, or at least hold off opening it until you can get confirmation that the person meant to send it to you.

These fairly simple things will go an amazingly long ways to keeping your system running smoothly, if you stick to them. If you don't, then your problem is going to keep coming back time and time again. It may even bring a long a friend or two every so often that will add to your woes.

- Collapse -
Yeah, well I think pretty much all of them are covered

I got my XP install disk from a friend that just recompiled the installer to include Norton anti virus, firewall, a defragger, all this stuff(it's still a legal copy, I have a serial that I bought and use, just modified for convenience) and yeah, first thing I myself put in was firefox, can't live without it, so yeah, that there alone covers like...3, so yeah, only "rule" that I truly violate is the p2p programs, I do use limewire, but only for music and all that jazz, and I have Norton scan my music directory(which is on a different drive entierly) every night, so yeah, thats ok, so yeah, I'd just like to kinda close this, maybe ask the mods to close it for me, but yeah, unless you(some new reader of this) have a brand new method of actually solving the problem in the title, but yeah, if not, I'll live.

- Collapse -
P2P used to download music and stuff.

There's your problem!

You've asked for this discussion to be closed. It would have been anyway because these forums cannot help where illegal downloads are concerned.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info