Computer Help forum

General discussion

Making space on the Hard Drive?

by TopRider1 / July 27, 2008 7:18 AM PDT

The disk drive on my pc says it has a total of 19.1GB but only 4.69GB is left free. How can I free up some more space, will I have to delete something?
I have Windows XP; I'm not very pc knowledgable when it comes to space, memory, or RAM stuff, so any help given will be truly appreciated.

Toprider1

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Making space on the Hard Drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Making space on the Hard Drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: making space on hard drive
by Kees Bakker / July 27, 2008 7:38 AM PDT

That must be a rather old PC, with a 20 Gb disk.

Some PC's come (or a made so later on) with different partitions (drive letters) on the hard disk, consisting - for example - of a 20 Gb c:-drive and a 120 Gb d:-drive the owner forgets about. That's not the best idea, as you will understand. If that's the case, we can tell you how to make the most of that currently empty space.

To clean the c:-drive I'd recommend you download (free) ccleaner and use that to clean a lot of junk. A lot of people here use it without problems.

And it helps (I don't know if ccleaner does that, and it's easy to do it yourself) to turn off system restore and turn it on again. That cleans all old system restore points, that can occupy quite a lot of space. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405 tells you how to do it.

But - if you've got a lot of pictures, music, programs, documents on your PC - it might stay rather full even after cleaning most unwanted things. Those, of course, aren't deleted by a program like ccleaner because it can't know what you want to keep and what you don't mind about. Cleaning that is a task that you can only do yourself.

And even after that there might come a time that you'll find it necessary to buy either a second hard disk (adding 100 Gb or so to the 20 you currently have) or a totally new PC.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
New PC
by TopRider1 / July 28, 2008 3:21 AM PDT

Thanks for the info; my next goal is to get a new pc.

Collapse -
You can easily
by 4Denise / July 28, 2008 3:15 PM PDT

burn any personal data onto a CD or DVD. Once it is on at least 2 different CDs or DVDs, you can then safely delete it from your hard drive. It is easy to get it back if you need it. You can drag and drop it back onto your hard drive from the CD or DVD. You can also just access it directly off the disk.

Denise

Collapse -
buy more space
by ironfist72 / August 1, 2008 4:46 PM PDT

My friend, 19 GB hard drive is very small Happy
It doesn't cost much to buy a much bigger hard drive.With so many programs that are out there for us to try and use, so many data (music,videos, etc),so many games (online or not) my suggestion to you is to buy a bigger hard drive.You would feel so relieved after that,when you ll stop trying to create space out of nothing....
Trust me in that Happy
500GB hard drive I believe covers the majority of pc users. And create 2 partitions.Give 50GB for your system and programs (with 500 you can be generous) Happy and the other for your files.

Collapse -
little HD...Need MO'...
by unknownsoundman / August 3, 2008 5:53 AM PDT

Tiger currently has a 500 Gig HD for $79.99. Not sure this SATA-II Drive will work in this old machine, but it will probably work in an
External case. Before you spend TOO Much upgrading this old machine, look for new ones on NEWEGG,com, or TigerDirect.com, as a new machine can be had for less than $300.00 bucks.
With your current drive > delete all known UNNECESSARY files and programs, Defragment, then run a Bad Sector Test and Defrag again.
Like the previous replies said, Burn ALL, TWICE, then CONFIRM BURNS TO BE READABLE AND COMPLETE, then Delete them from Hard Drive. Depending on your carrier (ISP), backing up online may send you into OVER-CHARGE (ie: Verizon 5 Gbs) territory. And that would PAY for that %00 Gig Hard Drive!

Collapse -
New Machine?
by TopRider1 / August 6, 2008 12:14 AM PDT

When you say new machine do you mean the tower the everything goes into?
Thanks for the help; I was wondering if I need a new hard drive. I'll look on the sites you suggested, but so far I have not seen any towers for unless than $300, that would be great, I could get one now.
You know, dealing with this part of the computer is not my forte.
I'm going to school for graphic design and I need space for design programs and such.

Collapse -
Add an external and don't fuss with upsizing
by dknapp / August 6, 2008 12:21 PM PDT

Today at Best Buy I bought a 1TB (one Terabyte = 1,000 gigabytes) external drive for $320. Given the problems a newbie like yourself can run into upsizing an existing drive, I would keep the existing one, add whatever external drive you can afford and same my pennies for a new system.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.