Windows 7 forum

Question

Making space in Windows 7

by VistaVictim / May 11, 2015 4:21 PM PDT

Ignore my joke name, have long ago upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 which I love.

Am approaching the limit of my C drive and encountering system instability and can't seem to make enough space. About a month ago I moved videos, audios and photos to my almost-empty E drive which freed a lot of space on C. But since then the space has been filled again even though I haven't installed new programs or stored any video/audio/photo, making me wonder if something I'm unaware of is creating the problem, such as some kind of backing up that I'm unaware of, especially as there were at least two crashes. I also ran a virus check on AVG which brings up nothing.

So I installed and ran Wiztree which identifies fat files and folders, which might indicate where I can delete. The biggest file at 23.4 GB is of course Windows - is there anything in that file I can safely delete?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Making space in Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Making space in Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Disk Cleanup done
by VistaVictim / May 11, 2015 4:55 PM PDT

I should add Disk Cleanup done, didn't help much.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: space
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 11, 2015 5:05 PM PDT

Don't tinker with Windows if you don't know what you're doing. Only Windows\temp is safe to clean, but that's done by the Disk Cleanup wizard already.

Please tell more:
- properties of the c:drive: total space, used space, free space.
- the top-5 of folders using space (starting with Windows).
- does the total shown by Wiztree (?) equal the total shown by the properties of the drive

Kees

Collapse -
info
by VistaVictim / May 11, 2015 6:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: space

Fine, I won't tinker with Windows as I don't know what I'm doing.

Summary says:

Local Disk (C:) 2.35 GB free of 52.1 GB

Local Disk (E:) 51.3 GB free of 66.9 GB

Properties say:

Local Disk (C:) 2.34 GB free, 49.8 GB used, 52.1 GB capacity

Local Disk (E:) 51.3 GB free, 15.6 GB used, 66.9 GB capacity

Top five folders using space on C are named: Windows, Users, [15 Files in C:\], Program Files (x86), Program Files.

Wiztree data for [C:] shows Total Space: 52.1 GB, Space Used: 49.8 GB (95.52%), Space Free: 2.3 GB (4.48%)

Collapse -
Re: info
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 11, 2015 6:26 PM PDT
In reply to: info

So that's all consistent.

Then there's not really much you can do, except:
- uninstall (big) programs you don't use (like old Java-versions)
- uninstall big programs your still use and reinstall them on the e:drive
- have a look at those 15 files in the root folder; apart from the big swap file and the big hibernate file there should only be a few very small files
- move My Documents/Pictures etc to the e:-drive (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-move-the-my-documents-folder-and-save-your-data-windows/ tells how)
- delete the contents of the appdata\local\temp folders of all users
- clean the browser cache of all browsers of all users, then move those to the e:drive (that's all somewhere in the options of each user in each browser)

Be aware that uninstalling programs only moves their data to the system restore area. So it only frees space after you clean that.

An alternative, if c: and e: are neighbor-partitions on the same physical drvie, is to combine them into one bigger partition. After that, you have no e: and a 140 GB c:.

Kees

Collapse -
Delete Restore Points:
by Stiff Paul / May 12, 2015 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: info

I had this trouble.. I deleted my restore points. I got over 100GB. of disc space back.. Good Luck!! Paul

Collapse -
How did you do that
by intouch01 / May 14, 2015 8:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Delete Restore Points:

how did you delete your restore points? can you please tell me in detail.

Collapse -
Re: delete restore points
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 14, 2015 9:13 PM PDT
In reply to: How did you do that

Turning off System Restore for a partition deletes all restore points. Then turn it on again and make an initial restore point.

On the same screen in Control Panel>System you can set a maximum size for the storage of system restore data. The default 50% of a 1 TB disk is 500 GB. That's too much. Mine is set to 5 GB.

Kees

Collapse -
Or You Can Delete All But The Most Recent Restore Point
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 16, 2015 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: How did you do that

....by using Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Disk Cleanup. Once there, select the "Clean up System Files" button, then the "More Options" tab. Once there, select the "Clean Up" button next to "System Restore and Shadow Copies". Click on OK, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
Move your "My Documents"
by James Denison / May 13, 2015 9:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
check
by Joris903 / May 17, 2015 1:16 PM PDT

You might want to use a utility to see if there are any hidden files taking up space. Although it's also possible that your drive could be dying...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!