Samsung forum

General discussion

Making Samsung Blu Ray BD-P2500 Wireless

Can this be done? Is there any kind of adapter I can buy? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Making Samsung Blu Ray BD-P2500 Wireless
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Making Samsung Blu Ray BD-P2500 Wireless
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No.

In reply to: Making Samsung Blu Ray BD-P2500 Wireless

dbksfn,

Unfortunately, there is not a way to transmit HD content wirelessly that I know of. Not to say that it doesn't exist. Perhaps some forum members are familiar with some of the technologies that can do this, but the Blu-Ray player was designed to be directly connected to the television.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Net Flix

In reply to: No.

I quess I should have given more info. What I need to do is hook up the Blu Ray to the internet so I can use the Net Flix feature and I was wondering if there's any way to do this wirelessly. Or am I just going to have to run a ethernet cable from my living room to the back of the house to the office? Thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
That's a little different...

In reply to: Net Flix

dbksfn,

I was trying to understand what you wanted to do. Happy

The design is wired, and Samsung can support wired devices. CAN you make it wireless with some network know-how? I imagine it's possible, though I have no idea.

You might want to check out C|Net's forums on networking and see if someone would know. I'll check on my end too, to see if anyone knows.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Netgear

In reply to: That's a little different...

Someone said I might be able to use a Netgear Powerline HD Ethernet Adapter. Have you heard of these and if so, what do you think? I'm just checking out every possible avenue before my husband has to go in the attic. Again, thanks bunches for all of your help.

Collapse -
That might work...

In reply to: Netgear

dbksfn,

There's a fair possibility that it may work. Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing with the vast amount of product available exactly which ones may or may not work, or how to configure it.

I might suggest checking with Netgear's pre-sales department to see if they know if it will or won't before purchasing.

Anyone else with personal experience is free to jump in!

--HDTech

Collapse -
Wireless Netwokring Samsung BD-P2550

In reply to: That might work...

Yes. It is possible if you have enough knowledge about networking. I bought a BD-P2550 last night and i am about to do it wirelessly. What you need are 2 LinkSys (WRT54-G) routers running the custom DD-WRT Firmware. You put one router on the internet side (connect it to the modem). Then you set up the 2nd router to join the 1st routers network over wireless and hook the 2nd router to the player via Cat 5 (basically a bridge connecting 2 networks). When your BD Player wants to surf the net the data goes from the player thru the Cat 5 out of router 2 and into router 1. Then to the internet, to receieve data it works the opposite way. It is pretty complicated but if you have a college degree in computer science / networking like me its feasable. I wish it was easier to explain.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Wireless Netwokring Samsung BD-P2550

I have a friend who's a computer geek. So I'll email this to him and see if he understands it. Thanks again to both if you for all your help. Have a great weekend

Collapse -
Wireless networking

In reply to: Wireless Netwokring Samsung BD-P2550

I believe what you need to do is use a wireless ethernet bridge. A wireless ethernet bridge allows you to connect a remotely-located wired device to your existing wireless network. Check out the Linksys WET54G. You may also be able to do it with a wireless gaming adapter (Linksys WGA54G).

Other vendor, Belkin, D-link, etc, make similar products.

Collapse -
Wireless

In reply to: Wireless networking

Would that be same as using a Linksys Access Point (WAP54G) ?

Collapse -
Wireless

In reply to: Wireless

Yes the WAP54G can act like a "bridge" (a device that connects to separated mediums).

Collapse -
Use dd-wrt!

Hello,

I use dd-wrt to connect my xbox360, xbox, tv, and bluray to my wireless network. dd-wrt is an alternative firmware for certain routers. I use the linksys wrt54gs. this router can be bough at walmart for $50. There is a bug in the latest ddwrt that both routers need to be running linux for the dhcp to work, so I had to flash both of my routers (since linksys doesnt use linux). If you need help on how to do this, or even where to download the stuff for it, just ask on here.

Much luck to ya

-Syco54645

Collapse -
Making BD-p2550 wireless

I have a wireless network with a DSL modem and D-Link DI-524 wireless router. I purchased a D-link DGL-3420 wireless gaming adapter with the Blu-Ray player and configured the gaming adapter by plugging directly into a network port on the wireless router and following the instructions that came with the gaming adapter. Once the gaming adapter was properly configured and talking with the wireless network, I unplugged from the router and set up the wireless adapter in the other room next to the blu-ray player. I connected the adapter to the blu-ray box with a network cable (came with the adapter) and it worked. I checked network connection by going to set up on the blu-ray player and updated the firmware. It took about 30 minutes to update. Once the blu-ray restarted, everything worked.

Collapse -
Wirless

In reply to: Making BD-p2550 wireless

ndoki1986,

Does the D-Link gaming adapter only have one RJ45 port? If it has multiple ports, one could connect second port to the 650 or 670 TV's Ethernet port and in essence have a connection to infolink also. If the D_Link only has one port, does anyone know of a cheap bridge/access point or gaming adapter with more than one port ?

Collapse -
Linksys

In reply to: Wirless

I can say that the Linksys WGA600N only has one port, but worked this week for my Xbox, I imagine it could do the same for the Blu-Ray players, unfortunately I can't officially support that statement.

--HDTech

Collapse -
that will work, but ddwrt is smarter

In reply to: Linksys

Collapse -
ddwrt router

In reply to: that will work, but ddwrt is smarter

Thanks. Is that all that is needed - the ddwrt router from Walmart? Or is any other equipment needed? If that is all that is needed, the $50 router, that certainly beats the dlink gaming adapter that cost $97 from Amazon plus shipping.

Collapse -
correct

In reply to: ddwrt router

yes that is what you need. i have two of them just because they are so good. i use the wrt54gs from walmart. the only issue that i had was the new version of ddwrt will not play nice with a main router that is not linux based. the easy solution is just to flash the main router as well. linksys routers are (afaik) the only ones that are not linux based. if you have any issues with this, feel free to contact me either via email frank_at_splra(dot)org or just on aim or yahoo at Syco54645.

-Syco54645

Collapse -
DD-WRT Issues.

In reply to: correct

I flashed DD-WRT onto an old Belkin router however the radio is defaulting to no and I can't figure out how to turn the radio on in DD-WRT. Please help me out. Thanks, Jim

Collapse -
huh?

In reply to: DD-WRT Issues.

i have no idea what you mean.

Collapse -
DD-WRT Huh

In reply to: huh?

I can't figure out how to turn the radio on within DD-WRT it defaults to off, if the radio is off I can't use wireless at all, which was the whole point.

Collapse -
what radio

In reply to: DD-WRT Huh

i still have no idea what you mean. what do you mean radio?

Collapse -
Get a clue

In reply to: what radio

1) we're talking about a _wireless_ router
2) to be wireless, it USES A RADIO!!!!!

Does this suddenly make more sense to you? The radio inside the router can be either off or on. He's having problems turning it on.

Collapse -
Having same issue with radio

In reply to: Get a clue

I am having the same issue with my belkin access point F5D7130 which had F5D7230-4 firmware on it before the dd-wrt flash. I have found a place to disable radio but I don't want to disable it I need a radio to get it connected to my network. Have you had any luck in turning it on?

Collapse -
Don't use wireless

In reply to: Linksys

I think everyone here is concentrating on whether you can use wireless, when the real question is should you use wireless?

Having worked in IT for many years, I can safely say that trying to stream video over wireless is not going to work very well if at all.

Now folks are going to be trying to stream HD content over wireless. This is going to be an exercise in frustration.

The bandwidth provided by wireless is not enough for reliable streaming of HD content. Even if it was, you will have signal interference and connection drop-outs. I guarantee it.

You will have much better results be either running cat 5 or 6 directly to the player.

Ethernet over power line is a better solution than wireless, but still a bandwidth bottleneck.

Just my $.02

Collapse -
i do it all the time

In reply to: Don't use wireless

i stream stuff wirelessly all the time and it works fine. hd avi to my xbox works great. hulu works fine too, but that is hardly hd now is it. the xbox being streamed to with tversity works great, as does ushare for linux. never had any issees except when the power went out.

Collapse -
Consider yourself lucky

In reply to: i do it all the time

I am glad that you have had positive experience with wireless, but unfortunately, your experience is not the historical norm.

If you have the choice between wired and wireless, it is always better to go with a wire. Bottom line.

I know running a wire is not always easy or convenient, but a good old cat 5 cable can't be beat.

Collapse -
so lets think about this

In reply to: Consider yourself lucky

So lets say that you have a typical divx movie that is split into two parts. The entire thing is 1.4 gigs. So, we will assume a bitrate of roughly 1157 kbps. Now lets convert that into kBps, we get 145 kBps (rounded up). So your network can clearly handle 145 kBps no problem.
Now then, 1157 kbps is roughly 2mbps (rounding up absurd amounts now). Your network rated at 54mbps can handle that no problem. Now sending a dvd wirelessly would be a different story and I do not care to figure that out. When streaming video from tversity or ushare to the xbox 360 it buffers it for a few seconds which is enough to handle anything but a catastrophic failure. So I doubt that I am one of the few that has had this work. People that I know do it all the time with the same success story as me.

Collapse -
Not so

In reply to: Consider yourself lucky

Even though I agree a wire is always better than wireless, for streaming netflix on your Samsung Blue Ray, an average wap (mine is a 54 linksys) works perfectly well. I have yet to have even a small glitch when doing so.

Collapse -
RE: Samsung Netflix Client & Wireless Networking

In reply to: Don't use wireless

Yes, streaming media over wireless real-time isn't generally a great idea because of connection drop outs.

However, Netflix clients actually buffer data before playing, and it dynamically re-adjusts the stream quality to ensure that there's always a buffer (aka never really playing media real-time). Because it uses a buffer, you are pretty much free to use wireless. The worse thing that will happen is that Netflix streams a lower quality picture to you if your wireless connection is really bad. Keep in mind that most people's broadband connections are 6MB/s tops, so your wireless network connection would have to be pretty bad to not be able to keep up with that.

If you have other devices that are truly real-time dependent around your media or want to future proof it, run a CAT5 cable for sure. If you want a cheap/quick work-around to get your Netflix stream to your living room, you can use wireless without fear of getting annoying video/audio breaks outside of a possible stream re-adjustment.

FYI, I have a 3MB download limit on my DSL line, and since my wireless access point is close by (the room next to my living room), I'm re-using an old Linksys Wireless-B Bridge (WET11) which only supports about 11MB/s. The Netflix client shows that it gets two bars short of max quality, and I never have issues with video/audio breaks. Unless someone starts using my Internet connection to download files while I'm already in the middle of watching a movie, I never have see the stream re-adjustment screen either.

I've also unplugged/disconnected my wireless bridge in the middle of a playback for short periods without getting any breaks in the stream either. Point being, if you want to save money, you have plenty of options to explore.

Collapse -
Dlink gaming adapter

In reply to: Wirless

HDTV Lover,

It only has one network port.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.