Desktops forum

General discussion

Making changes to Gateway SX2840-01

by joomgafadi / February 27, 2010 3:23 AM PST

Hey guys , glad i joined the cnet community .

i have a question , i recently bought Gateway SX2840-01.

i would like to know if these things are possible

Tower : i am not the fan of the current tower , is it possible to change the tower ? i am not a computer genius , haven't yet received the pc , its in shipping. So i dont know if the inside hardwares are same size like normal pcs , is it ? Can anyone point me to tower that can be used.

Graphics card : i read in various forums regarding the concern about graphics card, so i have some money , whats the best graphics card that i can upgrade to ?

I am not much of the graphics person either but i do use Photoshop and fireworks usually , logos, banners etc. I wont be playing any games in the computer as i got game consoles.

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Making changes to Gateway SX2840-01
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Making changes to Gateway SX2840-01
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
power supply
by joomgafadi / February 27, 2010 3:25 AM PST

Also i read in various sites about concern about power supplies ? whats that about ? does it concern me

Collapse -
i would like to know if these things are possible
by Bob__B / February 27, 2010 4:27 AM PST

Almost anything is possible.

How much money do you have?

Rough math.

Mid tower case............................80 bucks
Mid range vid card........................100 bucks
Psu to support the new vid card...........80 bucks

I would suggest that you test the new machine as is.

If it does everything you need it to do and the only problem is that you don't like the looks of the case......put something in front of it so you can't see frugal!

Collapse -
by joomgafadi / February 27, 2010 4:42 AM PST

yea i will try it first , but i think it will satisfy my need.

But i do want to change my tower , i have $50 that i can spend like right now .But i can stretch up to $100

can you suggest me any good tower ?

also i have never changed towers or made my own pcs so i have no idea. Will it be easy or is it going to be a hard job ? is it like opening the screw and put it back in next or or pretty hard ?

thanks for help

Collapse -
can you suggest me any good tower ?
by Bob__B / February 27, 2010 8:08 AM PST
In reply to: yea

No.......too many variables.

Moving the innards from a small case to a large case seems like an easy task............until you figure out the cables won't reach.....bummer.

Or the large case has no mounting for the small mobo that came out of the small case.....bummer.

Moving the innards from a proprietary case to a standard case may turn out to be a PITA.....or not.

If you do this I suspect your warranty went.....POOF.

Collapse -
Second thoughts
by Bob__B / February 27, 2010 10:31 PM PST
In reply to: yea
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?