Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

making a wired switch wireless?

by c_j_m / August 7, 2008 8:51 PM PDT

I have a small home network. It was all wired and, after having a wireless adsl modem/router installed it is still wired through the new modem. One computer sits very close to the modem, so it uses a short wired connection. The others are on a different floor, connected by a longish (for home) cable to the switch. If possible, I want to do a wireless connection from the router to my switch (so doing away with the unsightly cabling), but I want to leave the PCs the other side of the switch with cabled connections (mostly for speed benefits).

I want to spend as little as possible. I wondered if there is anything I can do to give my switch wireless capacity - a plug in wireless transmitter of some sort? If not, what is the cheapest solution to replacing the switch with another which allows both wired and wireless connectivity to it? As it's for home, I'm looking for a simple, aesthetically neat solution. Recommendations of products would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: making a wired switch wireless?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: making a wired switch wireless?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wireless switch? Nope. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 7, 2008 9:24 PM PDT

"leave the PCs the other side of the switch with cabled connections (mostly for speed benefits)." When you add wireless to any connection, the speed will be the wireless speed. Any speed benefits on wired will revert to the wireless speed. Why do you need a switch if the other PCs are wireless. Just use the wireless router. This will solve all your concerns. You'll not get wired speeds, but you'll remove cables and a "not needed" device.

Collapse -
wireless switch
by c_j_m / August 7, 2008 9:32 PM PDT

my understanding was that if I had a number of wired PCs on one side of the switch, if they communicate with each other, they would do so at the speed permitted by the wired switch. Would the switch not avoid passing traffic to the the wireless router if not necessary ie internet yes, but file transfers to other wired pcs one side of switch, no. Is this not correct?

Collapse -
Traffic THROUGH the switch. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 7, 2008 11:03 PM PDT
In reply to: wireless switch
Collapse -
I own 2 of these!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2008 11:07 PM PDT

I liked the first one so much I bought a second. BEWARE THAT YOUR AVERAGE JOE CAN'T SET IT UP. The unit's manual is not very good but the product is good and works. I can't speak of the printer server yet.

I see it from 29 and up so all the question here would be, is it worth it?

Collapse -
just what I was hoping for
by c_j_m / August 10, 2008 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: I own 2 of these!

Thanks for the feedback guys and your suggested wireless bridge looks like what I'm after, Bob. Many thanks for that. Hopefully, that will link the two segments I've got, plus it'll give me some extra flexibility with my printers which currently connect to PCs, it saves the need/cost of introducing more wireless adapters and will keep my cabled speeds 100 mbps on the wired sides.

Collapse -
I can vet more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2008 3:29 AM PDT

1. It does copy at full tilt from machine to machine on the LAN side.
2. It does work with WPA! No security worries for me.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?