Computer Help forum

General discussion

making a recovey disk?

by mrwrmiller / March 21, 2006 9:44 PM PST

can i put drive "D" on disks then remove the partition so i can use the complete HD? then IF i ever need the info from "D"(the XP reboot? info) just load it from disks instead of the HD? i hate wasting the space it is taking up.
thanks
bill

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: making a recovey disk?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: making a recovey disk?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Doubtful
by joesmithers06 / March 21, 2006 9:51 PM PST
In reply to: making a recovey disk?

Any recovery disk software supplied with your computer is likely hard coded to look in that specific spot and will fail if it's not there, rather than give you the option to supply an alternate location.

Collapse -
Bill, Yep, It's Possible....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 22, 2006 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: making a recovey disk?

...but it depends on the brand of computer you're using...On your HP, it should work fine as long as you've created or obtained the Recovery Disks. Some brand name computers, (HP, Compaq, and eMachines), have a one time option to create Recovery CD's from the Recovery Partition. Only one set of disks can be created using the option but it does allow you to delete the Recovery Partition after creating the disks.

See the links below:

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Creating Recovery CDs and DVDs Using Recovery Creator Software

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Recovering the System after the Hard Drive Is Replaced

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
rec. disk
by mrwrmiller / March 22, 2006 4:54 AM PST

grif
thanks for the info i checked it out but this one does not have the creator. soooo i guess i have to order it i checked and they show it in stock. so that means when i get it i can then do away with the partition and be able to use the whole thing right? keep the disks in a safe place and if i crash pop in the disks.
now let me ask you this..... how often would this happen?(needing to use the disk(or the stuff on the partition)?

Collapse -
Depends On Your Preferences
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 22, 2006 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: rec. disk

Everyone has a different opinion as to how often a person should reformat and reinstall everything. Much of that depends on how your treat and maintain your computer. Personally, as long as the computer is running correctly and you maintain it well, you may NEVER need to reformat and reinstall. (I've got a Windows XP machine that's 2 1/2 years old at this time and it's never been redone. Likewise, I've still got a 7 year old Windows 98 machine that only needed to have the Recovery CD used within a month of it's original purchase. We've also got about 30 comps at the office which have never needed a reinstall.)

Then again, I've got a couple of customers that require reinstalling about every year or so..They simply trash their machines. In addition, some users think they need to do it monthly for one reason or another.. I've never seen that need.

I will give you my opinion about deleting the Recovery partition.. I leave them alone unless I really need the space. Although the Recovery Disks work fine when necessary, the Recovery Partitions sure work well if you can still boot to Windows. It's nice to have options.

Collapse -
Depends On Your Preferences
by mrwrmiller / March 22, 2006 11:05 AM PST

ok thanks. ill leave it alone. ill look into another HD to add to it. yes this machine is well as old as WP is as i got it when XP came out(i felt i was money ahead rather than trying to just update OS and then finding out i really needed more). thanks for the info tho it was/is very useful. i learned something new in the process. hope someone else may have also.
bill

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?