General discussion

Making a network

I have a single computer at home which runs with both Linux and Windwos 2000.

I have a dual boot system. I have a choice to select the operating system. Most of the time or rather 99% of the time I use Mandrake Linux.

Now I want to connect 3 more computers and make a small network. My ISP has given a single IP address.

Do I have to buy a cheap switch or a router to accomplish the task?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Making a network
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Making a network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You have ICS or a "router".

These are the two common solutions. ICS is noted at http://www.wown.com but has its downside.

Bob

- Collapse -
Please help

I didn't find the answer there. There are a lot of things there.

- Collapse -
What was the question?
- Collapse -
More help

I appreciate all your help, Profitt.

It seems one of the computers are purely for connecting to the Internet. I think you could do this just via switch or router.

This way I don't have to dedicate or rather waste one computer to get the connection. Let us say I want to connect six different computers. I would connect one Macintosh computer, one Sun Sparc to run Solaris. I know some Solaris too. One computer will run only on Windows 98.

I will connect one computer purely for Suse Linux.

The other two computers have double booting . It means Windows 2000 and Linux. Either the Boot Magic or LILO will help me to select the operating system.

How do I that? My ISP gives me only one IP address.
Do I have ot buy a router or switch? What is your recommendation?

- Collapse -
In that case, a router will do nicely.

I was under the impression you didn't want to use a router so I noted ICS. That's not a total waste since it can still be used.

The router doesn't care what OS is on what machines.

Bob

- Collapse -
Again help

Thank you Proffitt

Do you mean it should be a router?

You don't think a switch will work, do you?

My ISP gives only one IP address.

- Collapse -
Yes, I mean it must be a router.

It does what they call NAT Routing which is widely documented. Just FYI, I won't duplicate widely written about items.

Bob

- Collapse -
Further help

What is FYI?

CNET Forums

Forum Info