Making a Good Choice - Zoom

by vermaking / June 12, 2005 6:00 AM PDT

Pls help me with suggestions/inputs to decide between the following models -

Canon S1 IS
Konica Minolta Z2
Olympus 7770 Ultra Zoom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Making a Good Choice - Zoom
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Making a Good Choice - Zoom
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) correction - olympus 770
by vermaking / June 12, 2005 6:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
Canon S1 IS - Konica Minolta Z2 - Olympus C-770
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 12, 2005 9:57 AM PDT

This would be a difficult decision:

They all take excellent photos.

The S1 IS is only 3 megapixel but it has image stabilization.

The Z2 and C-770 have 4 megapixels and no image stabilization.

The C-770 is the only one of the three that has TIFF mode.

The S1 IS does not have a hot shoe for external flash.

The Z2 has a shutter lag of only 0.4 second while the other two have a shutter lag of 0.8

Here is a look at their specifications (side-by-side):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_s1is%2Ckonicaminolta_dimagez2%2Coly_c770uz&show=all

As I said....a difficult decision.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) snapshot..pls clarify...help me make a decision here
by vermaking / June 12, 2005 2:27 PM PDT
Collapse -
Decisions
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 12, 2005 2:44 PM PDT

Any of the cameras you listed will be a good choice.

But I can not make that decision for you.

Only you know what features you are willing to do without and what features you must have.

To help you make the right decision, it is time to visit a camera store.

Try a place like Circuit City, where they will let you get your hands on the cameras. Try each one and see if you like the feel of the camera.

This will likely steer you to the camera that you like the best.

Collapse -
Zoom and IS, best buy is used or still in stock Try e-bay
by charlesvsi / June 14, 2005 2:53 AM PDT

I researched the olympus cameras extensively 2-3 years ago. Olympus had a very expensive stabelized lens IS camera, and introduced the c-2100 ultra zoom which has X10 and IS. Started selling for over $1000, they mass sold to Walmart who sold for $500 when I bought mine. be careful to get one that says CAMEDIA in red on box and camera, it is us compatible files warrenty etc. If missing, it won't work in us with MS software etc.!!!
Many are offered on e-bay and other similar sites. It is a very strong and workable camera. Olympus offers several models now, but none with IS because it is bulky and costs a lot. The new models are small more portable more pixels etc. However, my C-2100 with 2.1 MP prints great 8X10 inch prints from HP PSC 950 and psc 2175xi with high resolution capability.

I would not be afraid to get one on e-bay because they were sold widly, and are not considered too bulky, etc. However have standard lens threads, so easy to add protective uv filter, polorized, even multiplier lenses ect at minimum cost. Also uses standard AA size rechargeable batteries which last hundreds of shots. Software is good, and with a protective carrying case, is pretty portable. ok to e-mail me at charlesvsi@aol.com Chuck

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!