General discussion

Making a DVD for home TV

I would really like to take some of those funny little .flv [or similar] that we all get in email and some utube or dailymotion etc 'movies' and put them on a dvd that can play on the home TV for the delight of all. Would the resolution be any good? It would be nice to have autoplay, a choose from the file menu and if they could be moderated to have the same basic sound output. What is the best way/program to do this on a MAC.

Perhaps a different disc for those 'feel good' powerpoints.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Making a DVD for home TV
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Making a DVD for home TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Not an easy task.

You would need to convert all of the files into the same format and/or then convert them all to DVD format.

If you could convert them all to something that iMovie will accept, you could do all your editing in there and then send it off to iDVD to be processed into DVD format.

Best formats to use, for importing into iTunes, would be MPEG4 or DV.

I use Visual Hub, no longer in production but still available, to convert movie clips to MPEG4.
.flv movies would need something different as they need to be converted from Flash to MPEG4 or DV.

P

- Collapse -
Thanks

Thank you
I have a start.
T

- Collapse -
IF you still have problems

Converting from .flv format, I believe EasyWMV will convert from that format.

- Collapse -
.flv files

MPEG Streamclip will convert to many formats including QT movie -- .mov

Alan

- Collapse -
Resolution and pixel size

Unless I'm missing something, the .flv animation and movies we see in emails and web pages are tiny in size and dimensions. For a 4:3 aspect TV, the pixel dimensions are 720X486 while those little movies are something like 320X180. Usually when they get imported into an edit program, the tiny movies get bumped up to the large size, and the qualtiy suffers. You can't avoid this unless you get access to the original files that the .flv movies came from. If the edit program doesn't expand the pixel size, then you end up with a tiny little movie window in the middle of a large TV screen.

- Collapse -
.flv 4 vids

Thanks. Yes I have found that the first ones have been enlarged with poor quality. Ta. tony

- Collapse -
Very easy
- Collapse -
Will try

Could be just the thing. Will give it a try. thank you. tony

CNET Forums

Forum Info