Cameras forum

General discussion

Making 1st Camera Purchase

by Syrachris / September 30, 2004 7:26 AM PDT

I'm going to be purchasing my first digital camera and after researching, I've narrowed my list down to 3 and would like anyone's recommendation and/or opinions.

Although this is my first digital camera, I am generally good w/ electronics and catch on quick.

I plan to use the camera to mainly take family snapshots, although I may at some point dabble in more creative types of picture taking. I don't envision making enlargements greater than 8x10. That being said, I want at least a 4 megapixel camera. Would 5 megapixels be too much?

The camera's I'm leaning toward are:

Canon PowerShot A85 - 4mps, 3x Optical Zoom, 1.8 LCD, optical viewfinder.

Olympus C-765 Ultra Zoom - 4mps, 10x Optical Zoom, 1.8 LCD, electronic viewfinder.

Sony Cyber Shot DSC-V1 - 5mps, 4x Optical Zoom, 1.5 LCD, optical viewfinder.

If anyone has any other models to suggest, I'd appreciate hearing about those as well. Thanks for taking the time to help me decide.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Making 1st Camera Purchase
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Making 1st Camera Purchase
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Making 1st Camera Purchase
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 30, 2004 9:47 AM PDT

You picked out three winners.

You will be happy with any of the three.

Collapse -
by jason_he / October 3, 2004 12:58 AM PDT

My suggestion is the all-new Canon Powershot SD300 which will be released in November. It's powered by Canon's new Digic II processor and is 4-megapixels. Since the original Digic provided excellent image quality for all Canon's cameras, expect this to be even better. It also has a stunning movie mode like the Coolpix but includes a 60fps 320x240 mode to capture fast sports action. This Canon is ultracompact and ultrathin and you will probably be very happy with it. ($399 MSRP)

Steve's Digicams and DCRP are in-depth user review sites that include sample photos. Using Google, type the name of a camera and add "review" at the end, and the first two results should be those reviews.

Collapse -
by Kodakjack / October 3, 2004 10:54 PM PDT

I just purchased a Kodak EZ Share 5.0MP 7530 and from my brief time with it as well as reading some very positive reviews, it's a great choice. I'd advise looking at it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?