Question

Make my PC laptop sleep like my Macbook Pro

I recent purchased a macbook pro (retina) laptop and an IBM lenovo W520. I like both but the one thing i like the most about my macbook is that when i open it up, it comes out of sleep in less than 5 seconds and connects to the internet in less than 10. My pc takes almost a minute to do this and at least a couple of minutes to connect to the internet.

My settings on my pc do not allow hybernation, only sleep. Is the solid state hard drive the reason why my mac loads like this? If i were to get one of these hard drives for my pc would it act in the same way?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Make my PC laptop sleep like my Macbook Pro
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Make my PC laptop sleep like my Macbook Pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Newer laptops do that high speed wake up.

I can't discuss your hibernation issues. That's something you take up with Lenovo.

But my Samsung RC512 wakes from "zero power sleep" in under 5 seconds. Samsung implemented that feature and along the way disabled hibernation. Some folk would tinker and break this 5 second wake in some quest to enable hibernation!
Bob

- Collapse -
Hybernation

I can make it hybernate but i disable it b/c i was under the impression that hybernation takes longer than sleep to boot up but conserves energy. Im just saying that it wakes from sleep just like the macbook and the only difference is macbooks have the ssd as far as i know.

- Collapse -
From what I know

That high speed wake required more than ssd. On my Samsung for example they put some dedicated flash onto the motherboard for the zero power sleep feature.

On my older laptops I found by installing a faster HDD, it wakes up faster. HOWEVER there are a number of seconds required for a HDD to spin up to speed. But since replacing the HDD with SSD is never a sure thing, your choice to roll the dice.
Bob

CNET Forums