Mac OS forum

General discussion

Make me a mac man.

by bubbaegr / March 28, 2005 4:39 AM PST

I don't know the first thing about macs. I do know however that after 11 years as a windows pc guy, I can't stand it. I want a reliable computer with all of those features I saw on the OX Tiger demo from the steve jobs speech. Is there a website I can go to that can give me the clear pro's and cons of ditching my PC and jumping into the mac pool? P.S. it would be great if I could convince my wife as well.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Make me a mac man.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Make me a mac man.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
1. Apple.com has their switch page.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2005 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: Make me a mac man.

2. This is a 50 MEGABYTE PARODY about using a Mac Don't watch unless you like humor and can take it.

3. I found the Mac no more stable. We were doing some CodeWarrior development years ago and ... what stories I have.

4. The Macs are reasonably priced today. If you can, head out to an Apple Store. It's a nice experience you should do before purchasing.

5. Be careful that what you want is on the Mac.

Bob

Collapse -
Apple.com etc.
by taboma. / March 28, 2005 6:29 AM PST

Bob, Cannot find that link.

Kevin

Collapse -
apple.com/switch....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2005 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: Apple.com etc.
Collapse -
Apple.com/switch
by taboma. / March 28, 2005 7:31 AM PST
In reply to: apple.com/switch....

Bob, That link worked. Thanks,

Kevin

Collapse -
Mac Man
by taboma. / March 28, 2005 7:27 AM PST

My wife uses PC at work and is equally at ease with Mac at our home-base. If you and your wife want to use the Mac platform, the learning curve is easy and simpler than PC in every way.
We are all waiting for the new TIGER OS, also.
Try apple.com to find out about the Tiger and have your wife guide you through it.
Your wife may like the features of the new Tiger OS, compared to PC.
My wife can use our Mac Quicksilver Server with ease.
Ask your wife to ask a question and use this forum.
Bob Proffitt is the Moderator. Others in the Forum may help you and your wife out also. Just ask your questions. You will receve great advise!

What Mac computer do you both want? Go to apple.com and check them out. Low to high end. Configure what you both need and you both will not be dissapointed.

Transferring all the data and files from your PC to Mac is easy.
That is another question before you both decide.
Ask questions to this forum. You are in good hands with CNET forums.

Kevin

Collapse -
Hello
by aaron_b215 / April 4, 2005 12:57 PM PDT

If you are just looking to get started into the mac world you should go with a mac mini or an imac because they are not as expensive. Your wife can load pictures that you have taken on camera edit them and load home movies and edit them easily with the mac os.

Collapse -
Expensive
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 4, 2005 9:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Hello

There is a BIG price difference between the Mac Mini and the iMac. On what are you basing your assertion that "they are not as expensive"?
Both are good value but one is almost triple the price of the other

P

Collapse -
Mac Mini
by marysmac / April 7, 2005 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Expensive

The Mini is especially great for switchers as they may have a monitor, keyboard and mouse that they don't need to spend money on. Just get the CPU. Plug the other stuff in and do your Mac thing! It is small and does the job just fine.

The price difference comes from the lack of keyboard, mouse and monitor. It's no bigger than a small box of cookies and it works slicker than goose grease.

However, if you are a power user, this may not be the solution for you as the Mini is made up of some laptop parts...the hard drive in particular. It's RPM is only 4200 and that can slow you down greatly. It's not as upgradeable as other Macs so that may be cause for disappointment.

At that price however, you may decide Mac is definitely for you and you can go from there.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?