Peripherals forum

General discussion

Major video card problem

by KoMoDo / November 4, 2004 7:27 PM PST

Hello,

this is kind of a long question but its almost all the info u'll need, tell me if u need anything else.
so, i have an XFX Geforce FX 5200 (upgraded from the onboard video that came with my PC, which is bad) its now, about 2 months ago, i was in NY, and got an XFX Geforce FX 5900xt got it 1 day before flight, didnt check it because i was afraid the PSU was way too weak, a cheap "Hipro" 250W psu.. lol
anyways, got back to Israel, after rebuilding my hp a220n comp i used the 5200, then decided on upgrading to the 5900xt... uninstalled nvidia 61.77 drivers, it wanted to reboot, i did and then closed it down... put the 5900xt in, plugged a molex connector on the back, made sure it was plugged correctly, and guess what... i load the computer up, and i get weird pink lines all over the place, couldnt get drivers to install cause it kept rebooting and random blue screens while loading.. etc
anyways, i knew the problem was that the card was defected, told my sister to take it with her and RMA it back to XFX once shes back to NY, after about 2-3 weeks, they sent her a replacement (possibly the same one... lol) and then, a friend of hers got back to israel so he gave it to me yesterday... put it in, and guess what ? i get somethin like:
Geforce fx 5900xt BIOS
something
something
128.0 MB Memory

and that stuff is filled with weird dots and squares and stuff, all over the screen, not just that... once that screen is done, it just doesnt do ANYTHING....
i do have a hardware profile choosing thing on startup (used the tutorial from blackviper.com) but that shouldnt do anything...
i do have to say though, that i havent uninstalled the drivers, just wanted to see if they matter.. and im pretty sure they dont...

any ideas guys ? im REALLY angry about this whole situation.. theres no way im going to last with a 5200 for like 2 more years... cause im a gamer(trying to at least :-P) and i got most of the new games, and i just cant play them... really IS annoying.... cost 188$ and even though its real cheap compared to the price it is in israel (not from XFX, some other companies) theres no way my dad is gonna buy me anything now... unless i get this to work...

10x alot i REALLY appreciate any help and if possible i need it ASAP because if i wont get this one to work we probably arent gonna RMA it again, since no one we know is goin to the US and no one is returning anytime soon... im really disappointed, and help would be GREATLY apprciated.

10x really,

KoMoDo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Major video card problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Major video card problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Major video card problem with 250 Watt supply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2004 8:41 PM PST

I'd find it suspect that a 250 Watt power supply could handle that new spiffy video card and what's in the PC. Who decided to fit such a small power supply with all this?

In short, cut your losses and find a 450 Watt supply to remove the power shortage issues out of this picture. I'd be surprised if support staffers didn't tell you about this.

bob

Collapse -
Re: Major video card problem with 250 Watt supply.
by KoMoDo / November 4, 2004 8:52 PM PST

errr... forgot to write that
i threw away the 250W psu.. i already wrote i didnt wanna try it, so what makes u think i have decided to try it ?!
im on a 500W psu right now...

10x,

KoMoDo

Collapse -
Now make a new post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2004 9:12 PM PST

Leaving out such a detail wastes time with others thinking it's the usual power issue.

At this point it could be the card is either defective, the host machine's BIOS is out of date, the OS is not properly installed with missing drivers for the motherboard or other.

I can't tell from your post since you gaffed the power supply and what else.

Take some time and craft a new post with current details.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Now make a new post.
by KoMoDo / November 6, 2004 1:56 AM PST
In reply to: Now make a new post.

that post is good, the only thing i forgot was the PSU...

anyways, the bios doesnt have any updates that actually help about this problem.

the OS is installed perfectly.
im pretty sure its just the 2nd defective card, my brother in law sent them an email and they replied back saying they will actually TEST it now and send it to him again, and then, till he'll come to israel will be like in a few weeks (really hope so)... im just lucky he's coming back in a few weeks and not like in half a year, i do hope he WILL come back in a few weeks.

we'll see.

any other ideas guys ? or shall i just wait for the new one which'll get here in less than a month i hope so (thats still a long time.. better than nothing thats for sure)...

10x,

KoMoDo

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.