Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Major problem with operating system plus i cant reinstall it

by Newton Castilho / September 17, 2006 8:22 AM PDT

Ok i have gone through 16+ hours of chatting with delll representatives and they told me the only way to fix my problem is to reinstall windows ME. But now a new problem has occured and the problem is that about 75% of the way through installing windows ME an error occurs and then i have to restart and this occurs every time. I am wondering if i would just format my hardrive or just buy a new hardrive would i just beable to reinstall it without any problems?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Major problem with operating system plus i cant reinstall it
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Major problem with operating system plus i cant reinstall it
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Did you try formatting the drive you have?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2006 8:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
I am planning on duing that.
by Newton Castilho / September 19, 2006 10:05 AM PDT

Actually im trying that right now.

Collapse -
Dell Windows ME
by Davidshpcntr / October 1, 2006 7:30 AM PDT

I HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM BUT WITH A TWIST.
Have a Dell, Inspiron 2100.
Wife put XP on it and that was way too slow.
I put win 2000 on it, and it worked - until i put service pack 3 on.
Now, i have no operating sytem and have not determined a way to get the original ME disk to work...
My rescue disk fails to work also.
if i could just find a way to format the drive it might help but without any c: i can't get to use the format or fdisk command. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Collapse -
After 2000 Windows ME's FDISK might fail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2006 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell Windows ME

To get around that, look at bootdisk.com's utility called DELPART.EXE

Now install Windows ME like you want.

Bob

PS. I don't write how to install any of the Windows OS since there are a few thousand websites on that topic.

Collapse -
I reinstalled and computer is like brand new.
by Newton Castilho / October 2, 2006 10:09 AM PDT

Ok what i did was i made a boot disc.(didn't work at first and i had to make a couple boot discs) Next because my computer had problems even starting into normal mode. I had to take the case off and move a blu swicth from pins1-2 to pins2-3 to change the way the computer starts up. You change the start up drive to A. I think you can get to the menu to do this by pressing one of the F keys during startup. THen i put the floppy in and it loadedall this stuff then at the command promp i had to manually format the hard drive by typing "format C:" Then it asked my if i was sure then i clicked yes and then it reformatted it. Then when it restarts you have to change the startup to the cd drive that you put the Windows ME disc into then start up the computer with the disc in and install Windows Me from there and you should be good

Collapse -
I reinstalled and computer is like brand new.
by Newton Castilho / October 2, 2006 12:20 PM PDT

Ok what i did was i made a boot disc.(didn't work at first and i had to make a couple boot discs) Next because my computer had problems even starting into normal mode. I had to take the case off and move a blu swicth from pins1-2 to pins2-3 to change the way the computer starts up. You change the start up drive to A. I think you can get to the menu to do this by pressing one of the F keys during startup. THen i put the floppy in and it loadedall this stuff then at the command promp i had to manually format the hard drive by typing "format C:" Then it asked my if i was sure then i clicked yes and then it reformatted it. Then when it restarts you have to change the startup to the cd drive that you put the Windows ME disc into then start up the computer with the disc in and install Windows Me from there and you should be good

Collapse -
Can not install Windows ME
by juan2965 / September 21, 2006 1:00 PM PDT

Ok! I'm in the same situation. My suggestion, do not spend your time and money trying to get support from them. I've done that with my COMPAQ 7000 and nothing the Tech at HP and other computer places have told me to do has worked. So, re-formating, re-partitioning and not even buying a new hard drive will enable you to upload the software from the CD's.What I did was I upgraded to XP and is working fine now.I'm still trying to find somebody that could possibly tell me what to do to solve this problem.

Collapse -
Doesn't sound like the same issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2006 12:34 AM PDT

In the first post they had not formatted the drive, you have. So the issue or problem looks to be different.

Removing that I can't tell what issue you are trying to solve.

Bob

Collapse -
Reformat instructions www.windowsreinstall.com
by marjim3 / October 10, 2006 1:34 AM PDT

Be sure to use a bootable 98 start-up disk

Restart with this disk in your A drive.

When you get the A prompt type in your Rom Drive,
(If your rim drive is usually D then it will be E/
but your computer will probably tell you which one it is.

I just last night did this. So it works.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?