Laptops forum

General discussion

MAJOR MAJOR PROBLEM!

I have this Spyware or Virus on this computer that won't go away, I have tried some Spyware Removers, but it won't go away, and everytime this comes up, some SpySheriff program prompts me to install SpySheriff, this is what it looks like when I get it

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a129/XxAzNd34tHxX/ComputerVirus.bmp

I always get that when the virus comes up, and when I use a system restore, it comes back eventually within the next day.

My computer is a ze5600 Pavilion Hp and is about 1 and a half years old if that will help...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MAJOR MAJOR PROBLEM!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MAJOR MAJOR PROBLEM!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Rogue Anti-Spyware

In reply to: MAJOR MAJOR PROBLEM!

Collapse -
Norton Symantec

I'm no expert, but one of the best ways I've found to deal with viruses and spyware is to use Norton Antivirus or Norton Internet Security.

You can actually download a 15 day trial version from Symantec's website and use it to disinfect your computer in the instance you don't want to purchase the full version yet.

If you have the money to spare, I'd strongly recommend purchasing norton systemworks. It will help keep your computer running properly and, as with Norton Antivirus and Norton interner security, will automatically remove some worms and most viruses.

You have to do a complete system scan though, and this will help your computer function properly.

Collapse -
SpySheriff

I had my Norton Antivirus and Firewall turned ON all the time.In the weekend I turned OFF FireWall for 2 hours to download a file.Within two hours This SpySheriff attacked my PC by installing spysheriff program and deleted my desktop back ground and set with it's own back ground which I cannot bring it back till now.

This is what I did:
1)Uninstalld Spysheriff from my pc and deleted associated files from Recycle bin,Program files,including the folder.

After reboot, it came back by loading in startup after three attempts.

2)Enabled show all file formats under folder options. Searched for Spy*.*, *.jpg(for spysheriff desktop back ground),*.pf file(prefetch folder under windows/system32 I don't remember exact folder path.You can search for *.pf, Spy*.* and deleted associated files starting with (spysheriff*.pf). Uninstalled from Control panel->Add/Remove programs, followed step 1), tried look in Registry H_Key_local_Machine->Software section, I didn't find any where.Deleted all cookies, files, favorites, temp files,temporary internet files,documents and settings.
After reboot initially my previous desktop back ground comes back after completd stratup loading,but now no spysheriff background and loaded with plain blue.Currently I am happier than before.

I got control on the program loading at startup but, I cannot take control on how to set my desktop back ground.

If someone know, please post message.

Thanx in advance
Malwes

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.